power stands

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tgreen
Bronze Member

power stands

Post by tgreen »

I have a power stand for the jointer. My question is can I use the same stand for my other special purpose tools? I assume you can by changing the pulleys. I can not find the order numbers for the different size pulleys.
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Stands

Post by dusty »

To avoid giving bad advice, can you identify by part number exactly what you have for a power stand and what equipment you intend to interface with it.

Given that info you can rest assured someone on this forum will give you an answer.
tgreen
Bronze Member

power stand

Post by tgreen »

The only number I found on the stand was on the motor. ser. no. 7B84 model S48J4A3. This is a power stand, not a power station. The model number on the jointer is 505681 and the ser. no. is SS67749. I just got it yesterday and it seems a little slow for a jointer. I also have a belt sander, jig saw, and a bandsaw. Was wondering what pulleys would be needed to mount one of these.
Thank you
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

If you look in the online accessory catalogue you will find there are different pulleys for each tool. They give the rpm of each tool's speed on the power stand.
I would think you could order the correct pulley from Shopsmith. Perhaps if you call customer service they will tell you each pulley diameter. Or it might be listed in the parts catalogue for the power stand.

In any case you know the motor rpm from the motor decal. Shopsmith provided a suggestted speed range for each tool all you need is a little math to figure what size pulley you need to put on each machine to work with the pulley you have mounted on the motor. In fact if you take your motor pulley measurements, your motor rpm and the suggested tool rpm to most places that sell pulleys they will tell you what size you need.

Larger pulley on tool than on the motor makes the tool go slower.
smaller pulley on tool than on the motor makes the tool go faster.
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Stand

Post by dusty »

Let's try a little online tutorial.

Pulley diameters are measured on the basis of the collars that hold the belt in place (not on the basis of the inner shaft).

Tells us the rpm of the motor and the diameter of the two pulleys you have.

With that info we can tell you what size pulley you need to operate your jointer. What speed do you want for the jointer?

Example: Motor speed is 1750 rpm
Jointer Speed should be 3900 to 6200 rpm -- let's go for 5250 rpm

That's 3 times faster than the motor

Put a 6" pulley on the motor and a 2" pulley on the jointer

1750 x 3 = 5250
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have three stands. In fact last Friday a friend assisted me in mounting my band saw on one of them. Tis a shame I must now have each tool on it's own stand. I am unable to lift in order to switch them.

Two observations. First it is no small job to mount each tool on it's own stand. Getting the motor and belts aligned properly is fun. I have no desire to switch them back and forth. As I indicated mine are on their own dedicated stand for a reason.

Secondly Shopsmith has provided me with a chart (packed with each stand purchased) that indicates proper Motor/Tool Pulley size's and Part number for each tool and the belt size and part numbers. The chart also indicates appropriate allignment.

The chart is copyrighted so I can't scan or email it. If you tell me which tool you want to mount I can email the part numbers to you. fjimp
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Stands

Post by dusty »

fjimp

The chart that Shopsmith provided, does it have a part number? It would be really convenient to have something like that rather than have to figure it out each time.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Dusty Woodworker.

This sheet comes packed wih every 505655 Mounting Base. The part number on side 1 is 845007. fjimp
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Stands

Post by dusty »

thanks fjimp
tgreen
Bronze Member

power stands

Post by tgreen »

Thank you all for the response. I"m in the process of building a workshop in my back yard. When i get it done and decide what tools to put where I want them, I will give shopsmith a call to get the appropriate pulley and belt for the tool I will be using it with. Thanks again!!!!