The ProStop Digital Fence System

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: The ProStop Digital Fence System

Post by RFGuy »

sehast wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:04 pm Look at the 7:52 mark in the first video. It shows the encoder and scale in very close up detail. The rails can be cut by the user or by the company before shipment. I saw no reason not to let them do it and be responsible for any issues in cutting through the scale.
Thanks. I got around to watching the videos that you posted. They do give a teeny bit more info, but not exactly what I needed. I see now that this company is selling an aluminum extrusion (fence) that comes with the scales mounted on them (for a miter saw application). So they have a beefy fence stop that both the display and the guide clip mount on. What I was referring to is I haven't seen much in the way of anyone adapting the ProScale to fit on different tablesaws or other applications, i.e. adapting the product to a specific mounting type. I know I could make a custom bracket for it, but $400 is a lot to spend just to get the parts in hand to see what I am dealing with before starting to think about how to use it. I'll reach out to the company and see if I can get some mechanical drawings or more information to let me plan how I want to create a custom mount for it. Bottomline is I would hate to spend $400 on it and then find out that it won't work for my application, so I am trying to visualize/think through how I could utilize it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

dusty wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 am The fence is straight, the stops are reliable and accurately adjustable and the blade is square to the fence and does not wobble.

Does that accurately state the attributes???
That is pretty much it but its the degree of the accuracy and reliability that impresses me the most.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Steve - Very nice. Could you provide a cross-section picture of the extrusion with something in it for scale without disturbing your setup? Are these 'standard' T-slots?

- David
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:59 am
sehast wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:04 pm Look at the 7:52 mark in the first video. It shows the encoder and scale in very close up detail. The rails can be cut by the user or by the company before shipment. I saw no reason not to let them do it and be responsible for any issues in cutting through the scale.
Thanks. I got around to watching the videos that you posted. They do give a teeny bit more info, but not exactly what I needed. I see now that this company is selling an aluminum extrusion (fence) that comes with the scales mounted on them (for a miter saw application). So they have a beefy fence stop that both the display and the guide clip mount on. What I was referring to is I haven't seen much in the way of anyone adapting the ProScale to fit on different tablesaws or other applications, i.e. adapting the product to a specific mounting type. I know I could make a custom bracket for it, but $400 is a lot to spend just to get the parts in hand to see what I am dealing with before starting to think about how to use it. I'll reach out to the company and see if I can get some mechanical drawings or more information to let me plan how I want to create a custom mount for it. Bottomline is I would hate to spend $400 on it and then find out that it won't work for my application, so I am trying to visualize/think through how I could utilize it.
I would write mike@proscale an Email with your specific questions. I am not sure how adaptable this system will be for a table saw where you already have a beefy stop called your fence. The company does have a lot of experience with custom encoders and scales which is what you will need but I doubt they would be interested in a one off implementation, however, I have found them helpful as a coach when there is some chance of selling some of their off the shelf hardware.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sehast wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:49 am
dusty wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 am The fence is straight, the stops are reliable and accurately adjustable and the blade is square to the fence and does not wobble.

Does that accurately state the attributes???
That is pretty much it but its the degree of the accuracy and reliability that impresses me the most.
The demo was impressive. as is the technology.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

DLB wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:04 am Steve - Very nice. Could you provide a cross-section picture of the extrusion with something in it for scale without disturbing your setup? Are these 'standard' T-slots?

- David
They are larger than standard T-slots. Look at the first YouTube video in the post at the 7 or 8 minute mark. They show some close up views of the rail and the size of the T-nuts on the stop assembly. The rails feels much heavier than the standard 80-20 extrusions I have work with in the past. Let me know if you would still like me to take some pictures.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

sehast wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:46 pm
DLB wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:04 am Steve - Very nice. Could you provide a cross-section picture of the extrusion with something in it for scale without disturbing your setup? Are these 'standard' T-slots?

- David
They are larger than standard T-slots. Look at the first YouTube video in the post at the 7 or 8 minute mark. They show some close up views of the rail and the size of the T-nuts on the stop assembly. The rails feels much heavier than the standard 80-20 extrusions I have work with in the past. Let me know if you would still like me to take some pictures.
Yeah, if you look at the 1st video that Steve posted you can see the end cross section of the extrusion at about the 8:05 mark in it. What is more telling is to look at the fence stop which hints that those T-tracks are massive. Definitely looks bigger than standard 80 20 stock extrusions. Below is a mechanical drawing with some dimensions.
ProStop_Assembly_1.PDF
(340.67 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
ProScale_extrusion.jpg
ProScale_extrusion.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 949 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor