Forum Questions

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dickroan
Silver Member

lift for shopsmith

Post by dickroan »

bpilot24 wrote:Yes please tell us about the quick lift. I have seen it in the catalog several times but haven't sent for it yet
I was reminded of the need last week when my 87 year old arms had trouble lifting the machine to cut tenons.
From a 71 year old.....I love it....definately helps me use the vertical settings, (Drill, sand, rout, etc.) more now....If I think it's great, you should think it's even better.....dickroan
:cool:
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Testing also.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
justwoodwork
Bronze Member

Previous titles

Post by justwoodwork »

Just a few days ago, there were three main categories for the forum: This "Community" one, one for beginning woodworkers, and one other that I believe was meant for the more experienced (than beginners) woodworkers. At the moment, they are gone. Have they gone to archives--everyone? Or are they like gone-gone?
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

bpilot24 wrote:Yes please tell us about the quick lift. I have seen it in the catalog several times but haven't sent for it yet
I was reminded of the need last week when my 87 year old arms had trouble lifting the machine to cut tenons.
I've just put a review of the Shopsmith Lift Assist in the Woodworking Tool Review section of this forum.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro
woodburner
Gold Member

Bronze, gold, etc. rankings

Post by woodburner »

I am wondering why some members who have posted only two messages are a platinum member while a member like me who has posted 6 messages, maybe more, is still a bronze member? Any ideas?
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
dusty
Platinum Member

Bronze Vs Platinum

Post by dusty »

I'm sorry but I can't answer your question about about the criteria for user categorization but your post caught my eye.

I sure wish I could get a better look at you shop; it looks to be really "neat" and I don't mean "well kept". Your avatar just doesn't do it justice.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

bpilot24 wrote: I was reminded of the need last week when my 87 year old arms had trouble lifting the machine to cut tenons.

I love the Lift Assist]

The Lift Assist makes changing from horizontal to vertical operation a one finger operation. When correctly setup it takes almost no effort to raise the motor into drill press mode. Once installed (which is really very easy) it limits carriage movement on the right side by several inches. This is only an issue for lathe operation, especially when combined with the univeral tool rest (another accessory I love). To solve this you need to get the center closer to the headstock. We have found two solutions to this problem and as of yesterday I have both.

First you can order, from Shopsmith customer service, an extender for the live center (included with lathe dumplcator). Each extender is over an inch (from memory) long and two of them get the centers to touch with the normal tool rest. With the universal rest you are still about one inch short. Packard Woodworks sells a #2 to #2 extender the gets give you about a 4" extension which allows the centers to touch even with the Universal Toolrest.

I have not yet put the two solutions together but it might be interesting to allow a lot of movement of the carriage.
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Hi Everyone (and Dustywoodworker),

I have placed attachments of more photos of my woodshop,classroom and some of my turnings. I hope this works, I haven't downloaded photos on this site before. Let me know if they didn't come through, and I'll try again.
Attachments
IM000812.JPG001.jpg
IM000812.JPG001.jpg (120.04 KiB) Viewed 23230 times
IM000814.JPG02.jpg
IM000814.JPG02.jpg (119.42 KiB) Viewed 23234 times
IM000816.JPG03.jpg
IM000816.JPG03.jpg (120.04 KiB) Viewed 23228 times
IM000817.JPG04.jpg
IM000817.JPG04.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 23232 times
IM000804.JPG05.jpg
IM000804.JPG05.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 23232 times
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Woodburner,
That's a nice shop. You should post to a new topic, however, so no one misses it.

Bruce