Shopsmith Jacobs 3326 Chuck Key Needed

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

In case you are having trouble picturing drills this small take a look below. A #80 drill is .0135" In case you are thinking of getting this nice set of drills from 61-80 will run you about $30 or at least they use to.

Also when you get to drills this small I have a feeling the shopsmith is not going to be the tool of choice. I use a dremel tool in a dremel drill press at home, back when, the one we had in our lab it costed about $10K and had speeds up to around 20,000 rpm. Very precision with run outs, hey what run outs... and that was a bottom line machine 20 years ago. It has been a while but if I recall they would chuck down to a #97 drill.
[ATTACH]3180[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
small drills.jpg
small drills.jpg (314.35 KiB) Viewed 12460 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:I wonder....what does this chuck look like? Sure wish I could see some of those photos, the ones that Jacobs looked at.
Here they are, Dusty. Now you have something to put into my file. :D
Attachments
Chuck exterior set screw (downsized).JPG
Chuck exterior set screw (downsized).JPG (35.38 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
Chuck interior set screw (downsized).JPG
Chuck interior set screw (downsized).JPG (37.22 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
Chuck jaws opened (downsized).JPG
Chuck jaws opened (downsized).JPG (35.98 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
SS Chuck (downsized).JPG
SS Chuck (downsized).JPG (55.05 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:I wonder....what does this chuck look like? Sure wish I could see some of those photos, the ones that Jacobs looked at.
Your wish is my command. It looks a lot like the chuck that hobbyist already posted on this thread in post #21 and said it was a Jacobs model 3326. Now you have something to put into my folder. :D
[ATTACH]3185[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3186[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3188[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3189[/ATTACH]

These are the exact pictures that I sent to Jacob's, and Mike said that it was not a Jacobs chuck. I do knot know how he could tell this, as it sure looks like a 3326!!!
Attachments
Chuck exterior set screw (downsized).JPG
Chuck exterior set screw (downsized).JPG (24.86 KiB) Viewed 12446 times
Chuck interior set screw (downsized).JPG
Chuck interior set screw (downsized).JPG (20.86 KiB) Viewed 12442 times
Chuck jaws opened (downsized).JPG
Chuck jaws opened (downsized).JPG (20.85 KiB) Viewed 12443 times
Chuck spindle end (downsized).JPG
Chuck spindle end (downsized).JPG (23.34 KiB) Viewed 12444 times
SS Chuck (downsized).JPG
SS Chuck (downsized).JPG (41.13 KiB) Viewed 12441 times
Tim

judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

===================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

judaspre1982 wrote:I have four SS chucks and three are stamped with Jacobs ID info and one has only the SS logo and looks like the one Tim has posted. It seems the one that has just the SS logo is bored completely thru the chuck as you can see in Tims pics and the others that bare the Jacobs info are solid in the middle. I would like to know if hobbyists chuck in post #21 is solid or hollow. It seems as tho Jacobs likes to have their name stamped on their products , even their keys. The chuck I have that has just the SS logo has no other identifying info even on the key. This chuck is off of a 1995 era MK V.-----Dave
Mine, also is a 1995 Mark V. But if the jacobs 3326 has a solid center, that is how Mike at Jacobs knows that my chuck is knot a Jacobs.
Tim

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

judaspre1982 wrote:I have four SS chucks and three are stamped with Jacobs ID info and one has only the SS logo and looks like the one Tim has posted. It seems the one that has just the SS logo is bored completely thru the chuck as you can see in Tims pics and the others that bare the Jacobs info are solid in the middle. I would like to know if hobbyists chuck in post #21 is solid or hollow. It seems as tho Jacobs likes to have their name stamped on their products , even their keys. The chuck I have that has just the SS logo has no other identifying info even on the key. This chuck is off of a 1995 era MK V.-----Dave
Dave,
Are all 3 of your Jacobs identified chucks the same? Do they all have the same model number, and what is that number?
Tim

judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

======================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Wow. Tim! You actually posted some photos! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

judaspre1982 wrote:Tim, two are identical and came with 1955 machines and are the 3326 Jacobs. One is the Jacobs-Multi- Craft - Chuck and has MC8K26 stamped on it. It is solid in the middle and smooth not knurled as posted earlier in this thread. Its key however will fit the 1995 SS chuck perfectly while the other keys will not. The Jacobs MCC came with one of the 1955 MK V purchases but I do not know when it was manufactured. The key for the MCC is stamped KK.-------Dave
Thanks, Dave. Mike @ Jacobs has already told me that Jacobs no longer makes the Multi-Craft chuck MC8K26. I have not received an answer to my recent e-mail to him asking about the 3326. Their on-line information does not show a 3326, but it does show a 3326A, which Mike tells me requires a key to hold it into place on the spindle rather then a set screw and a left hand threaded screw down the center.
[quote] [align=left]Tim,

This is a key drive chuck. It does have a 5/8" straight taper, but it's only a slip fit condition. You would still need to have a key perpendicular to your shaft to drive the chuck and a left hand threaded hole in the center of your shaft for the retaining screw to keep the chuck on the shaft. I think the attach drawing will help you understand how the chuck needs to be mounted.

Thanks,
Mike
[/quote][/color][/SIZE][/font]
[/align]

He sent me a spec sheet on the 3326A, but it is knot clear enough to make out when I resize it to fit on this forum. If anyone wants the spec sheet on the 3326A, PM me your e-mail address, and I will send it to you.
Tim

hobbyist
Gold Member

Post by hobbyist »

judaspre1982 wrote:I would like to know if hobbyists chuck in post #21 is solid or hollow.
My Jacobs 3326 (apparently mid 50's vintage) is solid. Here's some close-up photos...

I've read that the older of the Jacobs 3326 chucks are the ones stamped "Hartford Conn". There are quite a few informative posts about Shopsmith chucks on the Yahoo SSusers group. Here's one of them...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SSusers/message/30414

Ray