Power Pro Motor pulley removal problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro Motor pulley removal problem

Post by DLB »

I have some PowerPro maintenance to do today (got the Power Supply I ordered in March) so my curiosity got the better of me:
Cable disconnected, system reports RPS State Error 1.
Fan removed (no sensor(s) blocked) system reports RPS State Error 1.
All sensors blocked, system reports RPS State Error 0 (but only if commanded to run).

Corrections and observations: Regular snap ring, not an "E" clip. There are eight mechanical features on the non-fan side of the fan for RPM/position detection, not six as I said earlier. Three sensors was correct. I don't think the fan can be out of position as the SS documentation suggests. There is a seat to prevent it getting too close and the snap ring. There is very little free play for the fan to move axially on the shaft. SS's descriptions are correct, at least for the PowerPro, in terms of all light paths blocked relating to "0" and all light paths unblocked relating to "1."

ETA Pics of Sensor and Fan Features

Sensor Side of Fan.jpg
Sensor Side of Fan.jpg (240.33 KiB) Viewed 905 times

RPS Board.jpg
RPS Board.jpg (185.72 KiB) Viewed 905 times

Note: I couldn't see any circuitry on the sensor board beyond the IR Receiver/Transmitter devices.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

David,

Good analysis and thanks for looking into thi. Should I edit my prior post and take out the Teknatool stuff or at least put a disclaimer for it so it doesn't confuse future readers? It is possible that the Teknatool version differs from the PowerPro, i.e. they could have easily swapped the two in digital HW implementation and/or firmware. Could also be a documentation error on their part.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:02 am David,

Good analysis and thanks for looking into thi. Should I edit my prior post and take out the Teknatool stuff or at least put a disclaimer for it so it doesn't confuse future readers? It is possible that the Teknatool version differs from the PowerPro, i.e. they could have easily swapped the two in digital HW implementation and/or firmware. Could also be a documentation error on their part.
I'd say leave it as is or add a disclaimer. Shopsmith doesn't publish as much info as Teknatool, I think we should keep what we have unless it is known to be wrong. It's as you say, I don't necessarily think Teknatool's info is wrong, just doesn't apply to PowerPro. Even a different signal name could change whether 'light path 2 blocked' is a 0 or a 1.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I would suggest that this is characteristic of Shopsmith. They have historically had items that are unique to Shopsmith. The motor on the 510 is but one simple example. It is a standard motor except for size, shape and mounting; otherwise just a 110vac motor that runs at 3450rpm (except for some that run at 3580rpm (as does mine).

I would bet that Teknatool treats the Power Pro as "proprietary". Try to order parts direct from them if you can even identify the Teknatool PN that you need. I tried, years ago, to order parts from Emerson and was told by Emerson that they sold those part only to Shopsmith.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:02 pm I have some PowerPro maintenance to do today (got the Power Supply I ordered in March) so my curiosity got the better of me:
Cable disconnected, system reports RPS State Error 1.
Fan removed (no sensor(s) blocked) system reports RPS State Error 1.
All sensors blocked, system reports RPS State Error 0 (but only if commanded to run).

Corrections and observations: Regular snap ring, not an "E" clip. There are eight mechanical features on the non-fan side of the fan for RPM/position detection, not six as I said earlier. Three sensors was correct. I don't think the fan can be out of position as the SS documentation suggests. There is a seat to prevent it getting too close and the snap ring. There is very little free play for the fan to move axially on the shaft. SS's descriptions are correct, at least for the PowerPro, in terms of all light paths blocked relating to "0" and all light paths unblocked relating to "1."

- David
Thanks for working that out. I hope I never have to deal with this problem.
The Shopsmith Wiki has a page on the RPS Error 0 problem. It consolidates much of the info in this thread, but no comment regarding the RPS Error 1 condition. It does seem like a disconnected or faulty cable is a likely cause of RPS Error 1 reports but there must be potential causes much worse than a simple cable problem.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Jim Sevilla recently had the RPS Error 0 on his Power Pro and posted videos on resolving it.

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,