SS Dust Collector - Opinions?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

8iowa:

I have already started laying the groundwork for a trip to Dayton with "The Boss". My idea was to try and take in one of the Academy sessions while on a vacation. However that would not be until later in the summer but a visit to the store would certainly be part of the plan. I may have to find a way to seal my wallet though to avoid being tempted by all the toys as both funds and space are limited.

John
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Sealing the Wallet

Post by a1gutterman »

John,
If you figure a way to do that please let the rest of us know how you did it. I know that when I recently attended a Traveling Academy, Rick Davis successfully sold me on a lot of new tools:eek: . And with the freebies that are available, I just kept putting more items on the list:mad: .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Hi folks:

The Canadian distributor has come back with a price of $500 Cdn for the
DC3300 which is about in line for the current promotion after adding exchange for the U.S.$. That is about double what it would cost for one of the 1hp 600-700cfm units that are available up here. I would also have to buy sight unseen as I will be in his area in a couple of weeks but he dosen't seem to have one in stock.

Now I have to make a tough decision. My heart says go with the DC3300 but my pocket book says differently. Besides the price differential is about 1/2 the cost of a SS strip sander that I also would like. Ah, decisions, decisions... does it never end? Apparently when it comes to wanting toys it doesn't.

Have fun.

John
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have a large 2 HP dust collector that cost much more then the list price of the Shopsmith unit and it does a great job for the Shopsmith lathe (with 6" pipe) and my planner with 4" pipe. For collection off my Shopsmith Tablesaw and bandsaw with 2.5" ports I don't get the airflow I want and I usually us my Sears vacuum which is not designed as a dust collection and clogs quickly. The Shopsmith collector seems to me to be more of a vacuum on steriods and seems better designed to work with 2.5" hose.

Maybe someone here could explain the difference between a vacuum and a dust collector.

This is my third large dust collector and none of them worked well with 2 1/2" hose so I don't think it is a problem with the collectors.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

As I understand it, a vacuum cleaner (shop vac) has a large static pull, but not necessarily a large quantity of air movement (CFM - cubic feet / minute). A vacuum usually has the filter located between the fan and the suction hose while a dust collector has the filter after the fan. Don't know how the "Dyson" works. Looks to me, as a series of cyclones to settle the dust prior to the filtering.

There is a discussion of dust collectors somewhere in the SS web site. I think it is listed withe the promo for the 3300.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA