Strip sander maintenance

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

psargeant
Gold Member

Strip sander maintenance

Post by psargeant »

I was cleaning my strip sander this weekend and noted that the rubberized surface of the drive wheel was beginning to crack and show evidence of deterioration. The unit is about 12 years old and has seen very little use. When I eventually replace the drive wheel, what can I do to prevent this from happening again? It seems that this rubber material is very similar to that found on the bandsaw wheels.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

That's a good question. I don't know the answer for sure, but am wondering if a product like "Armor-all" would be okay to use. It protects rubber and vinyl in your car from deterioration, so why not band saw tires? Anybody ever try it?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I use spray silicon on my band saw wheels. Maybe tha'll work. Use the tube on the spray can - gently spray and smooth it out with a clean rag. You'll find the rag turns black from oxidized rubber. Wont take the cracks out, but will help keep the rubber lively.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rebus
Bronze Member

Post by rebus »

I would not use armor all, as it has silicone in it. It will get on the back of the belt and cause it to possibly penetrate the wood. Use a non silicone rubber conditioner. I prefer leather products which do not contain silicone, like mink oil, or leatherique products. Important to read the label of any product you use to make sure you know what is in it.

Rebus