Tool Rest Upgrade

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Thanks for the great idea....and really inexpensive, too.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

THOMRIDER wrote:I did the same thing to my tool rest. I bought mine at Lowes though for around $2.50 a piece.

It makes adjusting so much quicker now.
Where did you find them at Lowes? What department?

Sincerely,

Ron309753
Sincerely,

Ron309753
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I picked up a pair at Woodcraft. I do not recall the price.

They had square corners which needed to be rounded to provide clearance to the arm.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

I just got an e-mail from T-Nuts saying that due to an unusually high volume of orders for these parts they are now backordered. Hmmm, methinks this forum may reach more folks than I expected.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

donalexander wrote:I just got an e-mail from T-Nuts saying that due to an unusually high volume of orders for these parts they are now backordered. Hmmm, methinks this forum may reach more folks than I expected.
I must have gotten in under the wire. I ordered yesterday.

Jack
markf
Bronze Member

Re: Tool Rest Upgrade

Post by markf »

The old product recommendations / part numbers in this thread provide helpful specs but unfortunately I wasn't able to find any still working.

However I wanted to share what I've gotten, which are working well. JW Winco part numbers 5T32A02K (upper handle) and 5T16A02K (lower handle), pictured with the set screws they are replacing. I got "black textured finish". They're a huge improvement over using the wrench, and actually don't get in the way of the chisels (I've taken to leaving the upper handle opposite how it's pictured, tucked into the crook of the tool rest's elbow).
Attachments
lathe-handles-installed-sm.png
lathe-handles-installed-sm.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 4030 times
lathe-handles-sm.png
lathe-handles-sm.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 4030 times