Crafter's Station

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Crafter's Station

Post by dusty »

Does anyone have a Crafter's Station?

I think I have a Crafter's Station and didn't even know it; but, then again I may just have the major makings for a Crafter's Station.

I wouldn't even know about this "thing" except that, in another thread, I was following instructions to determine how old my bandsaw is. Under "Customer Services/Frequently Asked Questions/Can you tell me how old it is ", I found the listing "Crafter's Station".

It looks like a power station with a table saw mounted on it. Looks interesting to me because I occasionally need to set up a table saw away from the shop but I don't want to carry the Shopsmith. This would work great. I THINK.

What I cannot tell from the picture is what arrangement is used to accept the table and trunnions. I have tried and the carriage does NOT adapt.

If anyone is using this, I would sure appreciate some feedback. Pictures would be very helpful.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Dusty - I had a Crafter's Station as reported in "how did you get your Shopsmith" thread. But as you missed that - here's what it is (was):
The CS looks a lot like a Power Station from a distance, but it is different in that it has two power switches. Both switches are exactly the same as those on the newer 510s and 520s. The switch in the front is to run the saw, which is the same as a Mark V. There is also a lever which replaces the Speed Control Assembly present on the Mark Vs. The lever with an arching movement changed the speed of the shaft and arbor. As I remember it didn't have an extendable quill the same as a Mark V.

The power switch in the back of the headstock is also an identical switch. The rear switch turned the motor in reverse and rotated the quill shaft in the opposite direction from the sawing rotation. One had to be careful to have one switch off before throwing the second.

The problem I had with mine was the power switch in the back which was used for all operations other than sawing worked fine BUT the motor would not start on its own. I had to give the shaft a turn by hand at the same time as turning on the switch in order to get the thing going. This frustration grew and grew. After trading out another Crafter's Station (the big boxes back and forth) and having the same problem - I asked SS if they would take the CS back for full credit and sell me a Mark V. They did and I guess we are all happy.

When I bought the Crafter's Station - I bought a band saw, jointer, belt sander and DC 3300 to go with it. Many other items such as the saw table, disk sander, upper and lower saw guards, floating tables and extension table came with the Crafters Station. In fact, these are the same items I am using today with my 510. I had already used all and adjusted them to my liking - so kept them.I gave the new ones (that came with my 510) back to SS.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Crafter's Station

Post by dusty »

What was the "carriage" like?

The picture is poor and I can't tell. Is the table adjustable up and down or is something on the order of a stop collar used?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The Carriage was the same as on the Mark V. As I remember - it could slide about a half foot to the right and side back to fit whatever accessory was being used. Since the accessories and the table saw were mounted on the same side of the headstock - therefore the need to rotate the shaft opposite directions for the saw VS. the accessories. The coupler was the same. Once again the power switch in the back was for accessories and the one in the front for the saw.

The table went up and down - so did the extension table. The disk sander worked, of course just like the Mark V. The drum sander could be mounted on either end of the headstock. Although the motor was exposed - I think the sheave system was just like the Mark V - but I'm not sure on that.

No stop collar was there. That may be a good excuse for me - as I cut the rubber stop collar off of my 510 when setting it up. Didn't find out about it's availability until delving into this forum. Thought it looked like a useless hunk of C--p and put it in the same category as the cardboard way tube protectors. When I got my new rubber stop collar about two weeks ago - found that it can be useful after all. One use is to protect the left edge of my homemade sliding panel sled. Worked my mark V for years without the stop collar and never missed it (or enjoyed it).
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Crafter's Station

Post by dusty »

charlese

I must once again thank you for your inputs; sometimes my thought process is rather scattered and I get off on some really lame-brained tangents. I almost got there with this discussion about the Crafter's Station.

You are right, the direction of rotation of the Power Station is wrong for a table saw (backwards). Since you stay tuned to this forum you already know that I have had experience with table saw blades running backward, installed backward actually.

But, think about it and tell me why I am wrong. If I really want to mount a blade on the power station, why can I not just mount the blade backward. In this case, two wrongs do make a right. Right?

Don't everyone wait for charlese to tell me I am all wrong. Jump in there and say your piece. If I am wrong, I'd rather you guys tell me than find out by creating a shop hazard. Whenever I do that, the little woman won't let me forget it.

Post by charlese »

O.K. Dusty! I'll wait a while!
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Crafter's Station

Post by dusty »

charlese, you can tell me now.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

As I see it, the first part is easy. Just mount the saw backwards in the arbor. Now comes the hard part. You'll have to somehow fit a carriage onto the Power Station table. This carriage should be situated so the opening in the table is over the saw blade and also you'll want to mount the table so it is facing the "rear" of the PS. If you can do this and the lower and upper saw guards fit - you've got it made. Don't see any other problems - except for adjust-ability.

HOWEVER, you will have no table extensions and probably not have much up/down movement of your saw table, therefore the saw height above the table will be almost fixed with not much choice of height above the table. Although I don't own a PS, the picture of it looks like the height of the headstock will limit down movement of the table.

Tilted table operations will be limited until you make table inserts that allow the saw blade to fit through the slot. These would have to be offset to the left side of the table

Maybe you can purchase a "carriage" part from the discontinued Crafter's Station.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dustywoodworker wrote:charlese
You are right, the direction of rotation of the Power Station is wrong for a table saw (backwards). Since you stay tuned to this forum you already know that I have had experience with table saw blades running backward, installed backward actually.

Generally when a sawblade spins it tightens the nut holding the blade on the arbor. If you mount it backward the force of the blade starting would tend to losen the blade. Some saws solve this with a washer and slot in the arbor (I can't remember if the Shopsmith arbors do this) I have one arbor per blade and it has been many years since I have changed blades, I seem to remember the dado blade is this way but that could just be age.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

charlese wrote:...This carriage should be situated so the opening in the table is over the saw blade and also you'll want to mount the table so it is facing the "rear" of the PS. ....
Whoops! This statement in my previous post is mistaken.
The saw table should face the front rather than the rear.

Other parts of my earlier post are O.K. Still sounds like a formidable job!
Chuck in Lancaster, CA