PVC Lumber

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bashfulbob
Gold Member

PVC Lumber

Post by bashfulbob »

Hi

I just got my Workbench mag, Vol 62, No 5, Issue 297, in, which I haven't read yet, but an article is about PVC Lumber. Its lead ins are: "Create long-lasting outdoor projects with a material that's as easy to work with as wood, but won't rot.

Pros: Won't rot, Dosen't have to be painted (but can be), No defects, Easy to cut and machine, Readily available.

Cons: Not designed for structural use, "Plastic" in appearance if left unpainted, Machined edges require priming and painting.

:eek: Shucky darn folks, what are they going to think of next?
Life is what happens in between Plans.:)
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

I'm in the process of overhauling my garage. I used plastic door jam boards for the overhead doors and plastic brickmoulds around the doors and windows.

A couple of lessons learned:
> Have plenty of ventilation when cutting the stuff with power tools. Preferably do it outside or/and a with a GOOD dust collector.

>Move the material through your saws at a fairly quick pace and do not stop anywhere along the way.

>It has a high rate of thermal expansion. I installed the overhead door brickmolds in the sun on hot day (and with dark material). The next morning there were some nasty gaps at the miter joints in the upper corners. Even thought I did not want to, I wound up capping them.

tchwrtr55
bashfulbob
Gold Member

Post by bashfulbob »

I know you said it was plastic, but is it the same stuff as the PVC lumber? Dosen't sound like it. They did a project that was written up in the same issue about adding windows in a garage door.

I read the article and it said when routing it, if you have a variable speed router, turn it down to about 15,000 r's. This produces finer shavings that are easier to collect. The article also says something to the affect that dust collection is a must "because the static charged shavings will cling to everything.".
tchwrtr55 wrote:I'm in the process of overhauling my garage. I used plastic door jam boards for the overhead doors and plastic brickmoulds around the doors and windows.

A couple of lessons learned:
> Have plenty of ventilation when cutting the stuff with power tools. Preferably do it outside or/and a with a GOOD dust collector.

>Move the material through your saws at a fairly quick pace and do not stop anywhere along the way.

>It has a high rate of thermal expansion. I installed the overhead door brickmolds in the sun on hot day (and with dark material). The next morning there were some nasty gaps at the miter joints in the upper corners. Even thought I did not want to, I wound up capping them.

tchwrtr55
Life is what happens in between Plans.:)