520 Upgrade questions

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

520 Upgrade questions

Post by easterngray »

I have a Goldie that I am considering the 520 upgrade too - A couple questions first though... Thanks in advance for any help and replies offered!

Can I use a 10" blade once I upgrade? Is the 3/4 horsepower sufficient for a 10" blade?

How difficult or time consuming is it to remove the tables/rails when one changes modes - (saw to lathe or VDP for instance)? Is there alot of realigning when They are reinstalled?

What additional costs are inherent with a 520 upgrade that are not part of the package? Table inserts for instance... Anything else?

Thanks alot! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I believe you can use a 10" blade and the change overs are quite simple and fast. I have the 510 and it is the same as the 520 except fence and tape and maybe a few other things. With the sale this week on upgrades you can't go wrong. The money you save you could probably find a 1 1/8 hp motor upgrade on ebay. I wish I could upgrade to 520 but well lets see last month a new fridge, new washer, property taxes and our car blew a rod. Hopefully I can do a few odd jobs and come up with some extra $$$
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

easterngray wrote:Can I use a 10" blade once I upgrade? Is the 3/4 horsepower sufficient for a 10" blade?

How difficult or time consuming is it to remove the tables/rails when one changes modes - (saw to lathe or VDP for instance)? Is there alot of realigning when They are reinstalled?

What additional costs are inherent with a 520 upgrade that are not part of the package? Table inserts for instance... Anything else?

Thanks alot! Alec
You need new saw blade arbors, the 520 ones are different. I don't do any realigning when I replace tables it takes a few minutes. If you look in the latest catalog you will see several items that list two part numbers 500 or 510/520 if you own one of these you will need some kind of upgrade. The rear extension table needs new (or modified) wooden blocks.

You can use a thin kerf blade which requires less horsepower. I use mostly 5/8" arbors so I can get any blade but I do like my Shopsmith carbide blades and I use the larger Shopsmith arbors with them for additional stability.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

The upgrade should be straight forward.

I upgraded my 510 to a 520 and am very pleased with it.

Also had an old Greanie that was a great machine but like working on the 520 much better.

There are alignment procedures that are more involved than the 500.

Changing modes to Lathe etc should be no more difficult than with the 500 except that the table is slightly heavier due to its size.

The 3/4 hp motor should be OK for now, It comes with a 1.25" saw arbor so you will need a blade that fits, I bought 5/8" saw arbors and use standard saw blades. Did the Goldie have the Poly-V-belt? if not that would be a good upgrade sometime in the future along with the Two-Bearing Quill if it doesn't already have it.

Additional zero clearance table inserts can also be made from 1/4" Melamine MDF, or what I did was made mine from 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood but had to use a router on the back to fit it to the table.

Good luck on the upgrade, once it's done you should enjoy the expanded capabilities of having a 520.

Jim in Tucson
easterngray
Platinum Member

Thanks

Post by easterngray »

Thanks for the feedback guys. With an accurate idea of cost I can approach SWMBO with confidence. The weekly special seems a good deal - wish me luck! Alec:D
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's