Weekly Blog - May 27th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - May 27th

Post by john »

Beautiful week weather wise so most of the time was spent on garden related activities. Went to the market to buy plants, planted them, went to the market, and again, etc. Also finally got the winter tires changed over to summer ones on the cars, only about a month late but hey what's the hurry. Something those of you down south don't have to worry about but then we don't worry too much about hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, etc.

On the woodworking side, I finished cutting and rough sanding all the pieces for the two oak doll cradles. Next step is to do the round overs with the router.

I also started looking at the wood in my pile to make some bread knives. Copied the shape from our own personal one but may try to alter it as those on Andy's website look a little more shapely and heftier. Actually I think I will try more than one, a slimline like mine and something different depending on the wood. I have a piece of maple with some nice grain that I think will look pretty good as a knife.

Well it's raining pretty hard right now so I guess I will head to the basement and try to make more sawdust.

happy woodworking!

John
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

Today I culminated a project that began a Year ago as I was doing Spring cleaning on the front porch. I needed a good old fashioned porch swing. It got started but interrupted to build a bassinet for my daughters twins. Any way it is up on Memorial Day and ready for the summer.

[ATTACH]208[/ATTACH]
Attachments
swing.jpg
swing.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 18323 times
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Nice looking swing! I'm sure with that curve in the back and seat it is a lot more comfortable than my lawn swing.

Now, if only I had a porch!

Have fun.

John
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

Thanks, It can also be hung from an A-Frame stand.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Walt (gampa) -- Gotta add my thought! Very nice and good looking swing! It's probably as comfortable as it looks! Enjoy!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I had a pretty quiet week - cleaning up the shop, although you can't notice (at least I put stuff in their places and vacuumed),-- completely servicing the SS (it is shiney-inside and out), --taking apart my wobble dado which had becomed jamed and fixing it, --checking all of the arbor set screws and-- planning the next two projects..
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I have a better idea about the swing, though my beloved wife would not agree. We have a large apple tree that now is only good for providing shade for my adirondack chairs, and as support for a swing for the grandchildren.

The grandkids are getting older so perhaps one night I can make the swing disappear and voila, space for a porch swing, if the branch is strong enough.

Have fun

John
smredleg
Gold Member

My feeble thoughts

Post by smredleg »

As a retired guy, and grandpa, who lives just south of the border and is a fellow American, I'd like to say I appricate your posts. You and I have a lot in common when it comes to crappy weather. As I live in the Province of Wisconsin, I've got to say my years' woodworking thingly only started this week. (After the summer garden went in. Not that WE'D have frost here after Memorial Day.)
Thanks,
w
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

W:

Thanks for the kind words.

Speaking of the weather, it is raining again here and the forecast is more of the same for four days. Looks like lots of time for shopwork and shopping.

The list of 22 garden and outside maintenance projects will have to wait.

John
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

W:

Thanks for the kind words.

Speaking of the weather, it is raining here again and the forecast is for more of the same for four days. Looks like lots of time for shopwork and shopping.

My list of 22 garden and outdoor maintenance projects will have to wait.:)

John