Looking for SS users in San Diego, CA

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bullfeathers
Bronze Member

Looking for SS users in San Diego, CA

Post by bullfeathers »

Good Morning All,

Is there anyone in or around the San Diego, California area that has a good mechanical knowledge of the Shopsmith? I have been having problems with
mine and I have tried all of the advice from the SS Service Center, even a new motor, 2 speed quadrants four bandsaw to headstock couplers and the machine still screams only when I try to use the bandsaw. The nearest SS
Service Center frome is in Whittier, CA, about 150 miles from my home town in Chula Vista, CA. Maybe it's me as my mechanical repair knowledge is limited.

My big problem is not being able to use my bandsaw and as a woodcarver,I
use it the most, hopefully someone can direct me in my search.
Thanks Folk
Oscar Legaspi
torpidhummer@yahoo.com
619 754 6647
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Have you replaced the backup roller? I did and it made all the difference in the world. Item #555074
dusty
Platinum Member

Looking for SS Users in San Diego, CA

Post by dusty »

I'm in Tucson, AZ and not in San Diego but I'd bet we can fix this problem.

First we need to make sure that everyone understands what the problem is.

You apparently are using a bandsaw mounted as an accessory on the Shopsmith and without the bandsaw the Shopsmith operates normally (no unusual noise).

I conclude from what you have posted here is that the bandsaw sounds normal until you begin to feed stock into the blade. At that time, there is a screeching noise that you can no longer tolerate.

If this is correct, I suggest that you order the Bandsaw Bearing Retrofit Kit, P/N 555074. They are now on sale for $23.75 (plus shipping).

These bearings either spin very little or none at all until stock is fed into the blade. When the blade is pushed back into the bearing the bearing serves to limit further rearward motion (part of the alignment procedure); preventing the blade from being pushed further backward. The parts list refers to the bearing set as "auto-track bearing guides".

If my interpretation of your problem is incorrect - please repost your problem so that we can try again.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Oscar, Dusty gave good advice for the band saw, but we should really know where does the scream come from? the Shopsmith, or the band saw? If you replaced speed quadrants for this problem my guess is that the noise id coming from the Shopsmith.

If the noise is coming from your band saw - try this before ordering the bearings: Remove your band saw blade so that just the lower (drive wheel) on the band saw turns. Then switch on the Shopsmith and see if the noise is still there. Don't exceed speed "B".

Just re-read your earlier posts, Is your speed control now working. Could be that the correct speed indication is now in error and the SS is just turning too fast! Did you do the High Speed Adjustment - and does the speed dial now stop at both "High" and "Low"?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA