Weekly Blog - June 4th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - June 4th

Post by john »

Given the on again off again weather, there was not as much attention to woodworking as there could have been. I did manage to find a new way to foul things up though.

The feet for the doll cradles require wood that is a full 1" thick. Since I didn't have any and didn't feel like taking a trip to the hardwood dealer, I decided to try using some of my scrap 3/4" wood. The theory being I would glue two pieces together to make a 1 1/2" blank and then resaw them to 1". They were too short to plane without snipe being a problem.

In my usual haste to see progress, I resawed each piece individually instead of making the same cut on all four pieces before moving to the next cut. Of course I ended up with pieces of four different thicknesses. Three were almost bang on so no adjustment was necessary. The fourth was about 1/8" too thick so had to be resawn again. Of course you know how it goes when one leg of the chair is too long and you try to shorten it. Well that's about where I am now. I will salvage them but needles to say, lesson learned,well maybe!

I did manage to make my first breadknife. Since it is made from a scrap piece of oak, it dosen't quite match the beauty of Andy's multi coloured wood ones but I am happy with it and it will replace the rather grungy one we now have in the kitchen drawer.

Happy Woodworking!

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi John,

I enjoy reading your week post and for once I thought I would add one of my projects.

But since I hate being like everyone else I'm not going to tell what it is. Just a couple of pictures then maybe a few more at it gets more finshed. BTW you don't have to post answers... but do try to guess. It could be big it could be small... and I haven't made one like this before... not much of a hint eh??

Ed
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 19167 times
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 19165 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Gotta say I love your weekly blogs! Yep! We all make a oops every once and a while. Here is a tip for next time it happens that you have to cut/re-saw a matching piece. Just place a completed piece between the fence and the blade - adjust the fence accordingly. (this is using the "done" piece as a set-up block) Should come out perfect, without any measuring (which we all know is prone to errors).

My weekly blog is full of pix. Just had to make more storage space in my shop prior to beginning plantation shutters. So got out my dependable wobble dado and found it was jammed. After prying it apart, found that I probably tightened it too tight and stretched/bent the parts. 4 hours later got it working again - like a champ! The project was a book shelf to hold my collection of woodworking magazines and had enough ply left over to make some "storage doors" (like the ones in SS's plans). Only had pieces of peg board in the bin, so decided to use some of these smaller pieces and put a plywood center (very wide) rail in the doors. Oh well it would give added strength/stability.

Also noticed that the old wobble now reconditioned, cut pretty flat bottomed grooves, dadoes and rabbets. Decided to take a bunch of pix to show both dadoes and project. So here goes, hope it's not too boring! Someone had recently asked about the SS folding workbench plan. Are these the kind of cabinets that were shown above the folding workbench? If so I have the plan, can make a photo copy and mail it.
Attachments
29 32nds woble dado.jpg
29 32nds woble dado.jpg (158.03 KiB) Viewed 19159 times
3 eighths dado -wobble.jpg
3 eighths dado -wobble.jpg (125.88 KiB) Viewed 19162 times
Library - cabinet - outside.jpg
Library - cabinet - outside.jpg (135.4 KiB) Viewed 19164 times
Library  -  cabinet - inside.jpg
Library - cabinet - inside.jpg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 19161 times
smaller SS cabinet.jpg
smaller SS cabinet.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 19157 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote: But since I hate being like everyone else I'm not going to tell what it is. Just a couple of pictures then maybe a few more at it gets more finshed. BTW you don't have to post answers... but do try to guess. It could be big it could be small... and I haven't made one like this before... not much of a hint eh??

Ed
It is a tapered pine leg, complete with blue stain radiating through the piece and showing big time at the knot. Incidentally nice polishing job! Looks almost like maple.:D

You can use it as a polking stick by holding at the big end, or as a mallet by grasping the smaller end.:p
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

Glad you decided to come aboard. That's exactly what I was hoping for, people to discuss projects or problems with projects, and to show some of the finished product.

As to your puzzle, I like that approach, without knowing the scale, I would guess it is a duck call or something similar. How long are you going to make us wait?

Chuck:

I seem to make "oopses" every day. Made another today, but I ain't telling, ...yet.

I see you get pretty good results with your wobble blade. I have the SS one but was never very happy with results so I got a Sears stacking dado on sale last year. It's better but still not perfect.

The wall cabinets are neet. I have looked at several over the years in "Wood" magazine and would like to make some to organize my shop, but don't have any real usable wall space due to low ceiling height and concrete walls. I want to try to expand the shop and create some wall space but keep making things so I can't (dont want to?) devote the time to improving the shop.

Have fun

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Wanted to update my post and give you another shot at guessing just what it is.

First it is not a wooden leg... but when my son came over and saw it that is what he guessed too.

As far as wood, sorry not pine but cedar of some sort. It came to me as a very ruff cut chunk of wood that must have sat out for a few years... I then let is set out a couple more. To be honest I had no idea what kind of wood it was but it had only very minor checking on the ends and it was light in weight. The first cut gave off the odor of cedar and my first look at the wood inside. Rather an interesting gain pattern and the blue streaking.

Anyway it became gray with an under coat and is now white as can be seen in the pictures. It is in the paint shop now for more color. In an hour or so I can put the second coat on and you might even see another picture later today if it drys well enough.

Ed
Attachments
now its gray.jpg
now its gray.jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 19150 times
now its white.jpg
now its white.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 19146 times
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

I think it will be a nice fishing lure. If not, it still looks nice.

John
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

I don't think its a lure but maybe a half a cow leg wind chime.:) No I really have no idea.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Sorry this is taking so long but I've had to order and replace computer memory to the tune of $165, what I hoped I could spend on some more shopsmith tools this month well that's gone. Sorry shopsmith.

Anyway it is a lure and with any luck I can finish it tomorrow. After several coats of paint and messing up the white-red line 3 times and having to sand and redo........ I decided it is as close as it is going to get.

The eyes and eyes/hooks are next when the paint is dry. I'll shoot a final photo and after that it will be pack for the trip north. (It's a gift)

Ed
Attachments
now red and white.jpg
now red and white.jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 19136 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Nice work! Hope it works good for you and that good wishes don't hex the lure. We used to call lures like this a "bassorino". Is that still the name?
Chuck in Lancaster, CA