CD Cabinet

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

CD Cabinet

Post by john »

I have been asked to make a wall hung cabinet to hold a collection of CD's.

Does anyone know of a magazine or link to plans for this project/

TIA

John
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Shouldn't be to hard to design your own. My wife and own over 700 DVD's and I custom build a rack for them for a floor unit. So a wall mounted for CD's shouldn't be to hard. It all depends on how fancy you wanna get. Just search sites selling these types of racks and you should be able to design your own without violating any laws
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

john wrote:I have been asked to make a wall hung cabinet to hold a collection of CD's.
Does anyone know of a magazine or link to plans for this project/
TIA

John
Yes, I will look up the magazine references for you tomorrow.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Sorry! didn't find any thing that was planned out like a wall hung case, but here is a solution:

It appears "Woodsmith" mag. has had a thing for CD storage cases over the years. They get pretty fancy with most of their storage ideas. They mostly seem to be pull out drawer type storage devices, but a little alternative planning can turn them into a wall hung cabinet.

It all depends whether your friend/customer wants to have 7" deep shelves or much deeper - with pull out drawers. Guess I'd prefer the 7" ones.

Here's what I'd do: I'd use the plan sizes from the "Barrister's CD Cases" Volume 23/No 137 "Woodsmith" and create shelves of that dimension with same upright dividers. (5 3/4" deep shelves with 1/4" vertical dividers every 4" along the shelf) The dividers would have a 45 degree bevel taken from the front top (an isosolese triangle with 2" legs) - to allow for finger access

Woodsmith No. 137 was the October 2001 issue. Other issues of Woodsmith having CD/DVD storage are: 105,148,118,129,69 and 160.

On another subject - Plan and reference for making bread knives just like the ones you want can be found in "WOOD" magazine, #152 (Nov. 2003) pg. 78. Their reference for kits to build these knives (with stainless steel blades) is Schlabaugh Woodworking (http://www.schsons.com) Here's the link to the knife kit: http://www.schsons.com/home.php?cat=277 Noticed they also have two Stainless steel knives that you can buy seperately. (about $8.75 ea)
Best Wishes!
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jcbrowne
Gold Member

Post by jcbrowne »

John,

You might want to visit this site: http://absolutelyfreeplans.com/INDOOR%2 ... ojects.htm

It has 3 CD storage suggestions that might give you pointers for your design.

Another one to look into is:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_jo ... 73116.html

I am sure you can modify any of these to be hung and suit your particular finishing design.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Chuck:

Thanks for the information. I vaguely remember that edition of Wood. Some years ago I started cataloguing all my plans by type so I could easily find something. Of course I didn't keep it up so now I have to flip through magazines, plans etc. A few months ago I started cataloguing again, but didn't keep it up, again.

The bread knife blade kits are a little out of dollar range for my liking, probably because they are stainless steel. I bought a set of five carbon steel blades for about $4.30 each, and the SS screws cost me about $0.20. Calculated the total cost of an oak knife at around $7.30 including a blade guard that I purchased at the Canadian equivalent of "Staples" but sold as a plastic spine to hold pages together. When my wife gets back home with my camera I will take a picture.

As for the CD cabinet, many plans I have seen are the file cabinet type but using the barrister bookcase model and some other combination is probably the direction I will go. The request came from a former employee and I let her know I need more infomation on what she really wants.

JC:

Thanks also for the links. I especially liked the "Dachsund" but I'm not sure that is what she wants. That one is a good idea for my fall craft show and could be marketed for a childs room. I have to think about that.

Have fun guys

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

john wrote:Chuck:
As for the CD cabinet, many plans I have seen are the file cabinet type but using the barrister bookcase model and some other combination is probably the direction I will go. The request came from a former employee and I let her know I need more information on what she really wants. John
John: Forgot to mention in my earlier post that the upright dividers are 1/4" thick. They are mounted onto the shelves in 1/4" dadoes that are 1/4" deep. These dividers do no reach clear up to the upper shelf. Since they are 4" apart, the CDs cannot fall down. They can only lean.

I think this is a fairly straight forward way to make a wall cabinet for CDs. You can use plywood for the entire unitf. 3/4" for the shelves and the sides, 1/4" for the vertical dividers and the back. It will need a back to stabilize the unit. There are many methods of hanging it on a wall.

If you use plywood, you can glue 1/4" hardwood stock to the front edges to hide the plys and make it look good.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA