flip-up rip fence stop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdewinter
Gold Member

flip-up rip fence stop

Post by rdewinter »

i just received my new flip-up rip fence stop and installed it on my 520 fence. Other than my desire to purchase a new toy for my ss, I think I'm failing to find the maximum usefullness of the stop. For repetitive drill press operations, I get it. For ripping, all I can see is using it for stopped dadoes. There has to be other uses I'm not thinking about. Any suggestions from the experienced ss users?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Flip-Up Rip Fence Stop

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi rdewinter,

Checking the SS catolog, I see that it is being marketed for "...repetitive drilling operations or for controlling 'stopped' operations..." That about covers what you are using it for now, but...

An additional use for them: SS also offers an extension for their Miter Gauge that uses a similar stop. It may or may not be the same flip-stop. If it is, then you could add additional stops for multiple set-ups.

I can think of another use for them: A person making his/her own sliding cross-cut table or sled could build a fence (adjustable for angles if so desired) that could utilize a flip-up stop, or more than one, again, for multiple set-ups.

Well, thats what I come up with. Hope it helps.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Several years ago when I converted to 520, I purchased the "flip stop" (555808) for the purpose of using it on the drill press. I was making a lot of utility shelving units at that time and the stop made it possible to very accurately drill holes in my shelf brackets.

I have just ordered the bandsaw fence upgrade (556031) and I see that the "flip stop" can also be mounted on it. This could possibly be used to more accurately cut the depth of tennons. I think I would rather cut tennons this way than use a tennon jig on the unguarded table saw.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

The bandsaw upgrade is a great upgrade and cutting tenons on a bandsaw is an excellent way. In fact in the book/video mastering your bandsaw Mark Duginski cuts tenons and then with a v block rounds the corners so the tenons will fit a router mortise.