Bandsaw adjustment

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gregwarren
Silver Member

Bandsaw adjustment

Post by gregwarren »

My bandsaw blade enters the table almost 1/4 in closer to the front than it is at the top of the blade guard. That makes it hard to cut to a line since the blade at the bottom of the stock is ahead of the blade on the top of the stock. I haven't always had this problem but I don't know what's changed.

It seems some adjustment needs to be made but I can't fiugure out what. The blade hits all three of the rollers as it should but the blade is almost flush with the back of the tire on the top wheel and nearly centered on the bottom wheel. Any advice?
jacobvb1
Bronze Member

Post by jacobvb1 »

Greg - the table can be adjusted in the front/rear direction as well as tilted to the right. Loosen your tilt lock handle and raise your table's front edge, then lock down tight. If this is not enough to bring it to a perfect 90 degrees to the blade, then you could add shims to your front bolts between the trunnion and table. But, I think the front/rear adjustment has enough room in it to fix your problem.

Jacob
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Life is good, even better with tools!
gregwarren
Silver Member

Post by gregwarren »

Jacob:
I thought of that too but was concerned that, since the blade was tracking on different parts of the tires, I wouldn't be making the adjustment that really needed to be made. Do you think I should be worried about that?
burnsrk
Silver Member

Bandsaw adjustment

Post by burnsrk »

I had a similar problem but the blade wanted to walk off the wheels. I talked to Dave at Shopsmith and found out the upper wheel was misaligned, probably due to leaving the blade in tension when not in use. I took my bandsaw in and he grabbed the top wheel at the top with one hand and at the bottom with the other and then pulled the top while pushing the bottom in. He then checked the tracking and that fixed the problem. He said to just do a little at a time until the blade tracks straight.
nortnarg
Bronze Member

Post by nortnarg »

Maybe the top roller guides are adjusted farther toward the front than the bottom guides??:confused:
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

If I understand right the SS bandsaw it is built and designed for the blade to track off the back of the wheels. Then SS puts alignment rollers that prevent the blade from actually tracking off the wheels.

If I look at my Bandsaw the blade is toward the back of both wheels and against the alignment rollers one is near the blade tightening screw and one just under the table. The upper guide roller in in the blade movable blade guide should be adjusted so the blade does not touch it until you are actually cutting.

Once you get the blade tracking right on both wheels, use your manual or call SS for all the adjustments. You then need to check to see if the blade is 90 degrees to the table. There is a slight adjust to this but I think you can also use shims to get it perfect.

My blade is perfect 90 degrees to the table in all axis.
Ed
Unregistered

Bandsaw Blade Guides

Post by Unregistered »

Is there a way to "recondition" the blade guides? The warning label inside my saw cover references reconditioning the guides, but how is it done?