Scroll saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

danny
Bronze Member

Scroll saw

Post by danny »

Is anyone using the scroll saw, if so I would like your comments about it.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Use better blades

Post by chiroindixon »

The Shopsmith scroll saw is a decent saw but there are better to be found at that price.

No matter what, use the best blades you can get. My wife is the scroller here and has tried them all. By far, the best are Flying Dutchman. We get ours from a geninue scrollling master and a real Dutchman to boot, Mike.

Go to http://www.mikesworkshop.com to see his work, read his story, and see his stock. He's a very nice guy and prices his wares very fairly.
woodnyou
Bronze Member

Post by woodnyou »

I had one for about 5 years and ended up selling it. I really liked the size of the table, but for the price, your can find one that is better and save yourself a few hundred dollard. I switched to the PSWOOD 26 inch and it cut circles around my shopsmith. I have since sold that also and now use an RBI, but they are a little pricey.
daleyfish
Bronze Member

Post by daleyfish »

I agree with woodnyou, I only had mine for a short time and sold it.
To much vibration, a pain channing blades etc.
I bought an RBI and love it.
genesav
Bronze Member

Scroll Saw

Post by genesav »

I use the Shopsmith saw and like it fairly well--several others may be a bit better, but you can't go to a store and 'kick the tires', and they are pricey.

Use good blades such as Flying Dutchman, make sure everything is adjusted to square and tightened, let the blade do the work and enjoy.

Also check out some of the scroll specific sites on the web.Lots of useful info there.

Genesav
hops
Bronze Member

I sure like mine

Post by hops »

I know I sure like mine - I've had it for about 6 mos. and wouldn't want a different one. (I've got a DeWalt 788 gathering dust.) Here's some observations:
- table size is very nice, but you can find this on others, of course
- variable speed (also on some other makes/models) is VERY nice
- the blade actually runs true... check every side of the blade with a square and you'll be surprised how many "high-end" saws run elliptical patterns. This was the clincher for me.
- heavy tool... it doesn't seem to wobble around a whole lot.

If I ever wore mine out and it was beyond repair, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

bkhop
Mark V 520/DeWalt 746/Mark V "mini"/Power Station/SS Strip Sander/SS Bandsaw with Kreg upgrade/SS planer on stand/SS Jointer/SS scrollsaw/SS Lathe Duplicator/Jointech SawTrain/Jointech Smart Miter/Jointech SmartLift Digital
twig/al
Gold Member

Post by twig/al »

I really like mine.. Back when I bought mine you could buy it on its own power stand or as an add on to the Shopsmith, I got the one on it own stand, now my wife will use it while I use the Shopsmith.. It helped keep peace in the family!! lol... Maybe it is because it is what I first used, but I would buy one again, if I ever have to...
Having too much fun in Alabama!!!
510 owner/user since 1996.
genesav
Bronze Member

SS Scroll Saw

Post by genesav »

This is to daleyfish---re: blades being a pain to change, I b ought some newer style blade clamp screws a few months ago. they have a single 'wing' if you will to grip while tightening the blades rather than the round ones that were included with my saw when I upgraded years ago. These are MUCH easier to tighten and rarely allow the blade to come loose. If you order don't let them try to sell you the whole clamp assemblies. All you should need are the newer screws. Check it out on the SS web site and go to the exploded view of the saw.
Also, be sure you have adjusted the set screw on the clamp so that it extends 'just a bit' into the clamp.This gives the clamping screw something to clamp against. If you will 'play' with this saw it will do a pretty good job for you.Be sure to get some good blades---I'm not impressed by those sold by SS.
devil_121
Bronze Member

Post by devil_121 »

Over the years I have used various scroll saws, starting with the Shopsmith Jigsaw (rigid arm scroll saw). When Shopsmith came out with their parallel arm scroll saw, I upgraded to it. When I got rid of my Shopsmith, I started looking for a replacement.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Been scrolling for many years. I make a lot of clocks. I started with a cheap sears and found out about flying dutchman blades from Mike and then upgraded to a delta p-20 (thats delta's high end) it was a great saw but didn't like the pulley change for vs and the blade holder broke. So I got a dewalt and have put 100's of hours on it and no problems. It is easy to change blades and great for inside cut's. I paid $400 for it and it came with a stand and light. I've never used the ss scrollsaw but it seems a bit pricey.:eek: