Idea for a simple box to raise TV

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eldyfig
Gold Member

Idea for a simple box to raise TV

Post by eldyfig »

I have a buddy that wants to raise a flat screen, that's sitting on a stand, up a couple of inches. He asked if I could make something simple for him. A thick slab of wood or two short 2x6's would be suffice for him. But, you know that is too simple. I gotta put more into than that.

Anyone have any ideas for this. I was thinking building a small box of some sort, but he said the TV is fairly heavy. If I did make a box, it would have to be strong. Any ideas, my friends?
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

eldyfig wrote:I have a buddy that wants to raise a flat screen, that's sitting on a stand, up a couple of inches. He asked if I could make something simple for him. A thick slab of wood or two short 2x6's would be suffice for him. But, you know that is too simple. I gotta put more into than that.

Anyone have any ideas for this. I was thinking building a small box of some sort, but he said the TV is fairly heavy. If I did make a box, it would have to be strong. Any ideas, my friends?
Run a molder or router bit(s) around the 'too simple' 2x6s and stain/finish them!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Awesome idea. Maybe even chamfer the edges that sandwich together. Thanks.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Or - build a short (not tall) torsion box out of thin (1/4") plywood or MDF and cover it with hardwood of your choice. With a torsion box the chances of warp/twist are minimized.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

eldyfig wrote:I have a buddy that wants to raise a flat screen, that's sitting on a stand, up a couple of inches. He asked if I could make something simple for him. A thick slab of wood or two short 2x6's would be suffice for him. But, you know that is too simple. I gotta put more into than that.

Here is one if you really want to go higher:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ht=sanford

Enjoy!
Chris
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

That looks good. Too big for what was requested of me though. For the size he wanted, I ended up sandwiching two 2x10s and framing them with trimmed down 2x4s. Then I tacked on some trim and routed the top edge. He wanted it painted black.

[ATTACH]6552[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6553[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6554[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6555[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1109091509.JPG
1109091509.JPG (42.28 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
1109091510a.JPG
1109091510a.JPG (42.99 KiB) Viewed 8129 times
1109091723.JPG
1109091723.JPG (44.93 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
1109091724.JPG
1109091724.JPG (39.1 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

eldyfig wrote:That looks good. Too big for what was requested of me though. For the size he wanted, I ended up sandwiching two 2x10s and framing them with trimmed down 2x4s. Then I tacked on some trim and routed the top edge. He wanted it painted black.

[ATTACH]6552[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6553[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6554[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6555[/ATTACH]
Oakay, have I missed something somewhere? When did SS sell a work bench??? Or did you somehow brand that work bench with the SS logo?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

My father bought this bench from SS back in '91, give or take a year or two.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I had to build a box to raise my TV I did a very simple box out of 2x6 mitered the corners and cut a rabbet to inlay a piece of 1/4" ply for a top. I then painted the whole thing a semi gloss black so it blended into the existing TV stand.
Worked for years until we replaced the TV. I think I may have given it to one of my children to raise their TV.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!