Lathe Vibration

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hartman
Bronze Member

Lathe Vibration

Post by hartman »

I bought my mark V model 500 used. I was getting a vibration when using the lathe function. I replaced the quill bearing and the drive & ring assemble. The vibration is still not gone. I also found that there is play in the quill. I can move the sanding disc side to side. Any ideas what else could be causing this vibration?
Bren Hartman
Battle Creek, Michigan
ksdaddio
Gold Member

Quill Bearing

Post by ksdaddio »

There used to be an upgrade to the 500, that got you a dual bearing quill. I replaced mine, and that cured several problems.

I also gave my 500 to my son-in-law to use and purchased a 510 which I upgraded to a 520, so I haven't looked at the 500 for awhile.
army1ret
Silver Member

Post by army1ret »

I'm not into the mechanics of the machine, myself. But, you can contact Shopsmith directly and ask the question. They are excellent at answering questions!

I'm thinking bearings in the quill feed. It sounds like the play in your quill is also causing some vibration when you use the lathe.

That's my two cents. I hope it means something!
Shannon Fields
CPT, FA
US Army Retired!
Bryan, TX :rolleyes:
kossuth
Bronze Member

Post by kossuth »

When turning spindles I had problems with a lot of vibration. I lessened the vibration by removing the stock and scribing a circle on either end of the spindle then jointing the spindle blank as close to the scribed circles as possible, I wound up with an octigon (sp and 8 sided piece of stock) and the vibration was virtually gone and I could rough out my spindle. Bob