Shopsmith storage

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I realize that this is not the sort of storage you are inquiring about, but I thought you guys would like to see this little Shopsmith shed...

Ed's Shed

Plans for Ed's Shed
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Now that's cool!!
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

marteen wrote:Please forgive the additional questions for I am just a newbee to the world of SS.

How exactly is the 30w oil applied to the headstock? Is the front cover off the headstock the only thing that needs to be removed before applying the 30w? Do I just pour the oil in or strategically apply to certain areas?
Also is it required to take the top cover off? I ask because I watched the Maintenance and Cleaning video with Nick and it looked pretty involved. Also, he treated parts with an aerosol spray outdoor lacquer and the inside of the motor housing with navel jelly and spray lacquer. Is this another method for rust prevention?
Maybe we're confusing some of the terminology, but there's not a "front" or "top" cover. Review this image so we're all on the same page with left, right, front, and back.

[ATTACH]8419[/ATTACH]

So, "right" is the side where the saw blade, drill chuck, etc. goes. "Left" is the side with two spindles for attaching the jointer, bandsaw, and other SPTs. "Front" is the side with the speed changer and power switch. And on the "back" side is a logo plate. Except for a few of the older Shopsmiths, this can be removed to reveal an access hole. That gives you access to the "control sheave" - that's the pulley half that is attached to the speed control. On the shaft of that sheave is a small hole. You should apply a couple drops of oil in that hole so that the control sheave can move freely.

Then, if you remove the belt cover (#22 in the above diagram) on the left side of the headstock, you can see the "floating sheave" that is attached to the motor shaft. Just as with the control sheave, this sheave moves on a shaft as the speed changes. And, just as with the control sheave, there is a small hole for oiling that shaft so it moves freely.

The Sawdust Session linked to below covers the lubrication and maintenance. It's really not as difficult as it might appear to be.
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm

Maybe someone a little more experienced than I am can chime in and fill in any details I might have left out.
Attachments
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (99.88 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
hagarz71
Gold Member

Post by hagarz71 »

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/prod ... e_1_10.pdf

At log in page of this forum maintenace PDF files are available.
Homer Garcia
Crestview, Florida
marteen
Bronze Member

Post by marteen »

You guys are great! The shed looks uber cool and I just might build a compartment to house the SS in my garage (thanks easterngray). But for now I think I'll go with the mortorcycle cover.

I will check out the videos that was recommended (thanks heathicus and hagarz71).
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

marteen wrote:All great suggestions. I will look into replacing my garbage bag cover with a motorcycle cover (maybe I'll go to Kragan Auto).

How is the oil (30w) applied to the headstock? I bought the maintenance DVD from Rick Davis. Does the DVD cover this?
Shopsmith sells a motor cycle cover that fits your Mark V perfectly.

Part Number 515306, $40.94 in latest catalog. These covers go on sale periodically.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fiatben
Platinum Member

The little shed

Post by fiatben »

is way cool!! I love that kind of stuff!

And I appreciate the diagram so we can all use the same nomenclature for parts and sides (left vs. right).

Yep, these guys here are incredible.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.