My first band saw box!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Heath great looking box, you said it maybe ceder if it is you would know with the first cut of the wood the aroma is unmistakeable. Ceder dust is toxic a dust mask is a must. That is a beautiful box keep up the good work.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
hagarz71
Gold Member

Post by hagarz71 »

Love the wood you used. Great looking box as well. Good job, i will be watching Nick demonstrate on that video 1st chance i get.
Homer Garcia
Crestview, Florida
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Your going to have to add 'woodworker' to your IT job title. It looks great. And to give it to your wife......you sure do know how to keep her interested with your new found woodworking passion. Keep up the good work.

I'd like to see pics of the wood before you applied the finish. It looks VERY RICH in the photos after applying the finish. I've heard a lot about the brand of finish you've used.

So where did you come across the piece of wood?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! It's very encouraging!
mickyd wrote:I'd like to see pics of the wood before you applied the finish. It looks VERY RICH in the photos after applying the finish. I've heard a lot about the brand of finish you've used.
Here's a side-by-side pic I took of the finished box and the remaining chunk of wood (what was the "inside" of the original block of wood) with no finish applied.

The difference is more striking in person. I should have taken the picture under better lighting. I do really like the Watco Danish Oil, although it darkened the cedar a bit more than it did the red oak that I used for the display case I made for my dad's Vietnam medals. But it was the only finish I had on hand. I guess I'm going to have to start picking up other finishes and start experimenting.
mickyd wrote:So where did you come across the piece of wood?
The guy that gave my first 10ER to me also gave me a stack of it. The blocks were all cut offs from a place that makes porch type furniture - porch swings, big wooden rocking chairs, etc. The blocks all vary in size but are about 8" -12" long, 6" - 8" wide, and about 2" - 3" thick. Stacked against the back wall of my garage, the stack is about 3' high by about 4' long. Great pieces for small projects like this. I haven't done much with it before now.
efmaron wrote:Heath great looking box, you said it maybe ceder if it is you would know with the first cut of the wood the aroma is unmistakeable. Ceder dust is toxic a dust mask is a must. That is a beautiful box keep up the good work.
There was definitely a strong aroma. I found this picture on the web, but it is very similar to what my blocks look like:

Thank you for the toxicity warning!! I'll be sure to take the necessary precautions when I use it in the future.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

efmaron wrote:Heath great looking box, you said it maybe ceder if it is you would know with the first cut of the wood the aroma is unmistakeable. Ceder dust is toxic a dust mask is a must. That is a beautiful box keep up the good work.
Toxic wood......does that mean a respirator is needed or is a conventional white dust mask ok? Might sound like a crazy question but I'd rather ask than not.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Great looking box!

Bandsaw boxes are another of the things"I would like to make", but never seem to get around to. Seeing this one gets the motivation going once again.

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

john wrote:Great looking box!

Bandsaw boxes are another of the things"I would like to make", but never seem to get around to. Seeing this one gets the motivation going once again.

John

Me too, John! Now that the furniture (for this house) has come to an end, bandsaw boxes are on my list (that has been inactive for years). If I could make one as nice as Heaths, I would be proud to have made one!

Heath - seeing your inside block, I can't help but think you could make one, maybe two more smaller boxes that would fit inside each other. After my past reading about bandsaw boxes, I hadn't even thought of making a rectangular one!:o Every article or instruction I can remember always showed a box of unique curving structure. My poor mind had never thought of making a straight forward box, like yours. Thanks for showing us your first one!!!! Beautiful work!!!

I too like Watco Danish oil. It's easy to apply and gives a very good finish all by itself. It can be overcoated with polyurethane, but that is not necessary. Just visited my son's home - they have a couch table (duplicate to mine) finished with only Danish oil. After being there several years, through cats and kids, it's still looking beautiful.

Have you tried Watco Danish oil, neutral color?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

charlese wrote:Heath - seeing your inside block, I can't help but think you could make one, maybe two more smaller boxes that would fit inside each other.
Someone on Lumberjocks suggested that too! Maybe on my next one I'll do that. But I did take that block and make a tray for the box this evening.
charlese wrote:After my past reading about bandsaw boxes, I hadn't even thought of making a rectangular one!:o Every article or instruction I can remember always showed a box of unique curving structure.
I think that's because there are so many possibilities when it comes to bandsaw boxes so those possibilities are shown off and demonstrated instead of plain old boxes like mine.
charlese wrote:Have you tried Watco Danish oil, neutral color?
I think mine is "natural." Is that the same as neutral or is neutral something different?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Amazing what different lighting will do for a picture.

Here's the box now with the middle block of wood turned into a tray for the box.

Heath
Central Louisiana
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:Amazing what different lighting will do for a picture.

Here's the box now with the middle block of wood turned into a tray for the box.

NICE!!!!

Why not two trays?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange