Gallery of Restorations

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wannabewoodworker wrote:Well I got an unexpected package when I got home today from Bill Mayo and it was the parts I needed to finish my Greenie re-assembly. So I immediately went to the garage and slap the rest of it together. Then I did a high speed adjustment and re-adjusted the Gilmer belt as it was too tight and the motor dodn't want to turn very fast.....:o After re-tensioning the Gilmer belt she ran like a raped ape.......:D This thing seems to be even faster then my Mark VII but I have never done a speed adjustment on the Mark VII so she may be hamstrung a little bit. My Greenie came out awesome as far as I am concerned. There were some minor issues with the paint that disappointed me but I learned from that and won't have those problems again. I am really pleased with the way it all came out and now I am wondering if I should keep it or sell it????? Also this machine came with a sanding disc that measures 12" in diameter but I had another one from my Mark VII that was smaller which measured 10" in diameter. Did SS provide both 12" and 10" sanding discs???

The 10e/r had both 9" and 12" aluminum sanding disks. The greenie and goldies and gray magna-american had 12" alumiunum disks. The Mark VII had a 10" aluminum disk which is flat on one side, and slightly conical on the back side. All ss mark V have steel 12" disks with varying hub length(500//505,510,520) and the 'conical' sanding disk(again with different hubs).

BTW She looks gorgeous!!!!

For the Broken Arrow Guy!:D
[ATTACH]24052[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24053[/ATTACH]
Attachments
hayes b4.jpg
hayes b4.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 20440 times
hayes after.jpg
hayes after.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 20569 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Thanks J,
The 10" is from my Mark VII the 12" came with the Mark V both are Aluminum though.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wannabewoodworker wrote:Thanks J,
The 10" is from my Mark VII the 12" came with the Mark V both are Aluminum though.

FWIW, yer 'Greenie' is a 'Mark 5' which should have an aluminum disk.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

JPG40504 wrote:FWIW, yer 'Greenie' is a 'Mark 5' which should have an aluminum disk.

I realize that but I was basing my comment on your previous statement which is throwing me for a loop???

All ss mark V have steel 12" disks with varying hub length(500//505,510,520) and the 'conical' sanding disk(again with different hubs)
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

My latest rework, The one from this
Well.... Another "new" greenie
thread.

Before
[ATTACH]8659[/ATTACH]

After I got done with it.
[ATTACH]8660[/ATTACH]

Now it is off to Missouri.:)
Attachments
56 GREENIE AS RECEIVED.JPG
56 GREENIE AS RECEIVED.JPG (70.07 KiB) Viewed 21942 times
after 1.jpg
after 1.jpg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 21951 times
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

mikelst wrote:My latest rework, The one from this
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=64812#post64812
thread.

Before
[ATTACH]8659[/ATTACH]

After I got done with it.
[ATTACH]8660[/ATTACH]

Now it is off to Missouri.:)
Where in Missouri??
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

Cottleville, or St. Charles. Cottleville doesn't have a post office.:D
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

mikelst wrote:Cottleville, or St. Charles. Cottleville doesn't have a post office.:D
Mike - sent you a PM.
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I know these are called "restorations" but they are really so much more -- they are better than restored. I'm a bit jealous, but I also know that if I were (able) to make my Shopsmith as beautiful as these, I'd be afraid to use it for fear of putting a scratch on it! :)

Mark me as impressed.
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

mikelst wrote:Cottleville, or St. Charles. Cottleville doesn't have a post office.:D
Hey Mike... Cottleville/St. Charles is a stone's throw from me. If it happens to "get lost", I'll take good care of it for you... :cool:
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).