Gallery of Restorations

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

paulrussell wrote:I know these are called "restorations" but they are really so much more -- they are better than restored. I'm a bit jealous, but I also know that if I were (able) to make my Shopsmith as beautiful as these, I'd be afraid to use it for fear of putting a scratch on it! :)

Mark me as impressed.

Thank you Paul,
From my perspicitve, All I'm trying to do is get the tools back in to like new or near like new condition so that they can be enjoyed and used for another 50 years (hopefully). The work done by some of the people on this sight (as far as restorations go) is producing museum quality work. That is way beyond my goal or level of expertise:o. But I do what I can:D.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

tom_k/mo wrote:Hey Mike... Cottleville/St. Charles is a stone's throw from me. If it happens to "get lost", I'll take good care of it for you... :cool:
Thanks Tom, I can rest easier now knowing you'll look out for my baby:p.
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

My latest rebuild....

This one is my old trusty shorty that I am using for a sanding station and band saw power supply:D. I'm keepin her....:p

She is 359411 so around the end of November in 59 was her build date.

This is the only before I could find on it... Didnt document this work but it is pretty much the same as the last one... altho... I did put in a 1 1/8th hp motor and poly v setup I had on hand....

[ATTACH]9027[/ATTACH]

Just nothing you can see changed except for paint and polishing.:)

and this picture is one I just took in the shop.

[ATTACH]9028[/ATTACH]
Attachments
before1.jpg
before1.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 20595 times
after.jpg
after.jpg (103.28 KiB) Viewed 20645 times
brick1
Gold Member

Post by brick1 »

robinson46176 wrote:I didn't take before pictures and I can only find after pictures of one so here are two after pictures of the one I like the best.
[ATTACH]8318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8319[/ATTACH]

I see that most of us took pictures in front of garage doors :) Could it be that it is the only presentable place we have for a background? :)
well, now i know how to start......first i'll learn what size the pics need to be, then i can start with the new shop i built....for my future Mark 510. its sitting in there right now awaiting a clean-up and there's a bunch of wood just screamin to be used!!! it's a 1989 or 1990 model.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wannabewoodworker wrote:I realize that but I was basing my comment on your previous statement which is throwing me for a loop???

Sorry for the delayed response. This is the reason is IS important to refer to the 'vintages' accurately.

There has been much misuse of the Mark V moniker when referring to Mark5's. Mark 5 was a product manufactured by Magna Engineering, Yuba Tool co, and Magna American.

It was not until the creation of 'Shopsmith, Inc.' that a Mark V was built.

All the Goldies and Greenies and smooth gray versions are Mark 5's. All the Mark 5's (and later model 10er's) had cast aluminum sanding disks.

All after 1972 when Shopsmith Inc, was formed, are Mark V's and SSI introduced the steel sanding disc(I do not know of they made ANY aluminum discs).

Although essentially identical(with a few improvements along the way) the Mark 5's are a distinct model sub-group as are Mark V's. Their attachments do vary(just some, not all).

Adding to this confusion is the Mark 7 - VII which was referred to by Magna American both ways!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dontolbert
Gold Member

My 10E...

Post by dontolbert »

Not on par with the other units out here and the picture isn't anything to right home about, but here it is!
Attachments
Old Shopsmith.jpg
Old Shopsmith.jpg (70.62 KiB) Viewed 19340 times
Don Tolbert
Bentonville, AR
10E - sn# R-29399 - 1950
Mark V - sn# 222659 - Dec '87
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dontolbert wrote:Not on par with the other units out here and the picture isn't anything to right home about, but here it is!
Looks right nice to me!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dontolbert wrote:Not on par with the other units out here and the picture isn't anything to right home about, but here it is!
Looks real nice Don.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

That is a good looking tool Don. Should be good for many years of sawdust therapy.:)
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I love my Mark V, but the 10er is to my eye a more beautiful machine. Dunno why. Probably because of the work of MickyD and Shipwright
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC