Parallel clamps, Woodworking Show

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Parallel clamps, Woodworking Show

Post by Bruce »

Has anyone seen any good deals on the Jet parallel clamps, or any other good brand for that matter. The Jet clamps just seem to have some nice features. Also, has anyone been to The Woodworking Show? If so, what deals did you see there on these clamps? I plan to go to the Kansas City show in February. It will take me at least that long to save for them as they are pretty pricey.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

batg4 wrote:Has anyone seen any good deals on the Jet parallel clamps, or any other good brand for that matter. The Jet clamps just seem to have some nice features. Also, has anyone been to The Woodworking Show? If so, what deals did you see there on these clamps? I plan to go to the Kansas City show in February. It will take me at least that long to save for them as they are pretty pricey.

Before you buy do a realistic assessment on what you really need. I tend to buy long clamps figuring I can clamp anything. Sounds good in theory but in practice. It gets old dealing with 2 and 3 ft tails of the clamps I rarely if ever use. My most used clamps are my 18 inch and 2 footers, seconded by my 6" and 12". I have a lot of 4ft and 5 ft clamps that I rarely use.

If I had to do over I would have bought only 6" to 3 ft clamps in beam or alumimum bar and bought pipe clamps with couplers for anything larger.

I have 4 5-6ft Bessey parallel face clamps that have never been off the clamp rack. And 4 4 ft Jorenson parallel face clamps that got used once. However my 6"-3ft clamps rarely make it back to the rack. For the price of the 4-6 ft clamps I rarely use I could have bought a lot more of the smaller clamps I never seem to have enough of.

As for the wood working shows I have found they usually offer 10% off but they usually have show specials that work out better. If you can find a factory rep and start talking to him, he will take you over to a retailer and work out a good deal. Dewalt reps are the best for this.
woodnyou
Bronze Member

Post by woodnyou »

Check out your local Rockler store if you are lucky enough to have one. If not, try on line at Rockler.com. They had a great intro package of 4 clamps and several other accessories a few weeks ago. I am still kicking myself for not getting one at that time. The price was very good for the package, and it was all in one box from Jet.

Happy hunting !
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I just received an e-mail from Rockler in it they feature a Jet Parallel clamp package.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... okietest=1

So there you go, a package of clamps ready to go. Also you might sign up to receive Rockler E-mail specials, they offer some good deals.
Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the info, but I can get the same package from Amazon with free shipping. With what these things must weigh, I imagine that's a pretty good savings.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Good advice

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I wish I'd read Ed's advice on clamp lengths 20 years ago! Ed is "right on" when he suggest figuring out what you will need first.

My 12" clamps are used in practically every operation (I love my quick clamps). I use handscrews and C clamps as well.

As for glue ups, 30" bar clamps get the lion share of the work (the kind with the box bar), my 5' bar clamps come in a distance second while my long pipe clamps sit in the corner waiting on some large cabinet project. For most panel glueups, 30" width is enough; however, if you will be making alot of dining tables, you'll need lots of longer clamps.

I have some longer single bar clamps that almost never get used. I wouldn't recommend single bar clamps in any length over 24".
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Jet package from Rockler

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I forgot to mention that I'm tempted by the Jet parrallel clamp package in the Rockler email special. After all, one can never have too many clamps.