Gallery of Restorations

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

paulrussell wrote:I love my Mark V, but the 10er is to my eye a more beautiful machine. Dunno why. Probably because of the work of MickyD and Shipwright

You just like 'Antiques'! However, I agree!

Blue Beast is coming soon!

[ATTACH]9041[/ATTACH]
Attachments
blue beast preview.jpg
blue beast preview.jpg (89.1 KiB) Viewed 22261 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mmorris
Gold Member

54 greenie

Post by mmorris »

I decided to reverse the colors on the headstock. I like the contrast of the color and the speed dial.
Attachments
shopsmith 640 X480.JPG
shopsmith 640 X480.JPG (58.51 KiB) Viewed 21340 times
Monte in Missouri
Two 1954 Mark V's: #268502 and #267199
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

JPG40504 wrote:Sorry for the delayed response. This is the reason is IS important to refer to the 'vintages' accurately.

There has been much misuse of the Mark V moniker when referring to Mark5's. Mark 5 was a product manufactured by Magna Engineering, Yuba Tool co, and Magna American.

It was not until the creation of 'Shopsmith, Inc.' that a Mark V was built.

All the Goldies and Greenies and smooth gray versions are Mark 5's. All the Mark 5's (and later model 10er's) had cast aluminum sanding disks.

All after 1972 when Shopsmith Inc, was formed, are Mark V's and SSI introduced the steel sanding disc(I do not know of they made ANY aluminum discs).

Although essentially identical(with a few improvements along the way) the Mark 5's are a distinct model sub-group as are Mark V's. Their attachments do vary(just some, not all).

Adding to this confusion is the Mark 7 - VII which was referred to by Magna American both ways!
My 1973 vintage MK V came with an aluminum disc.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

JPG40504 wrote:You just like 'Antiques'! However, I agree!

Blue Beast is coming soon!

[ATTACH]9041[/ATTACH]

HOW SOON, Red?
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

nuhobby wrote:HOW SOON, Red?

Before August hopefully. Just acquired a freebie(Jig saw) and stuff for my mini(also a wip) which have delayed progress somewhat. A couple of items to (re)paint and re-assembly will commence. Am still struggling with a way to store the main work table/trunion on the 'bench'. I hope to get ALL the accoutrements(A long list) a place to rest on the bench when not 'active'.

BTW My mini will be named FrankenGG(Farmer already has Frankensmith) since it consists of scavenged parts from a multitude of Greenies and Goldies(and a couple of parts from the gray variety).

P.S. Maybe I should call her FrankenGGG!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tryinhard
Gold Member

Can't read attachments

Post by tryinhard »

------------------------ wrote:Er-56112
[attach]8338[/attach]

[attach]8339[/attach]
I would like to see these pics, but I have never been able to read any of the attachments from ------------------------.

Everyone else's attachments appear on my screen as either the pictures or the names of the picture files. But --------'s attachments show in his main post as "attachment" and a number just like you see above in the quote section.

Is there a trick that will let me see these attachments?
Mike
Jupiter, FL
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

tryinhard wrote:I would like to see these pics, but I have never been able to read any of the attachments from ------------------------.

Everyone else's attachments appear on my screen as either the pictures or the names of the picture files. But --------'s attachments show in his main post as "attachment" and a number just like you see above in the quote section.

Is there a trick that will let me see these attachments?
He deleted them from the forum. The posts have the residual image info but the images are no longer available. They were good photos.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

Here is my entry, I will honestly say I could not have done it without this group. Many Thanks!

Here is a 'before' shot

Edited to add new image links. They are WAY to big. I will upload some smaller ones...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Are you aware that have a very rare headrest that has the 4E jointer attachment? Keep very good care of that part!!!

Help or no help, you did a great job!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

JPG40504 wrote:Are you aware that have a very rare headrest that has the 4E jointer attachment? Keep very good care of that part!!!

Help or no help, you did a great job!!!
Thanks! I just posted a question about the headrest HERE I really wish I would have taken 'before' pics.