Small Part question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Small Part question

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

Been traveling like mad, glad to be back for a bit and able to bug you guys with questions. :-)

On small parts like arbors and some of the lathe items, I clean them up and they turn silver. I dont believe they are supposed to be silver? What is used to protect those items? Is it bluing? (SP) like for weapons?

Thanks!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

hohenfelsjoe wrote:Been traveling like mad, glad to be back for a bit and able to bug you guys with questions. :-)

On small parts like arbors and some of the lathe items, I clean them up and they turn silver. I dont believe they are supposed to be silver? What is used to protect those items? Is it bluing? (SP) like for weapons?

Thanks!
The 'black' parts are covered with black oxide of iron.(rust) Abrasion or other rust removal methods remove it. Waxing will protect the 'silver' finish from future rusting.

The older manufacturers did not black oxide these parts. SS inc started doing so. The black oxide does not contribute to the functionality of the parts.

So wax em and move on!!!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

OK then, Wax on....Wax off
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I've taken several old & rusted arbors, lathe spurs, 12" disks, even the exposed ends of the quill feed assembly, and after cleaning off the rust and finishing with 220 and 320, I use Casey's Perma Blue. This is a cold blue. The parts must be cleaned throughly with acetone, and then I apply the Perma Blue with soft cloth. The parts look almost new when finished.
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

8iowa wrote:I've taken several old & rusted arbors, lathe spurs, 12" disks, even the exposed ends of the quill feed assembly, and after cleaning off the rust and finishing with 220 and 320, I use Casey's Perma Blue. This is a cold blue. The parts must be cleaned throughly with acetone, and then I apply the Perma Blue with soft cloth. The parts look almost new when finished.
8iowa, this is the same stuff we use to reblue weapons. How is it holding up so far?
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie