Florida SS Owners

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tryinhard
Gold Member

Another FL unit

Post by tryinhard »

I am in Jupiter, about 20 miles North of West Palm Beach. I have a 1983 upgraded to a 510, with a belt sander.

Though I really like it, I've never had much time to make dust--guess I chose the wrong careers. I get two months during the summer to do anything with woodworking.

I'm glad I have the Shopsmith (many tools, little space), because in a townhouse, with no garage or carport, and a laundry room that is too small, the machine and all its equipment is stored in a bedroom. My workshop is the patio. When I can work, the SS is dragged through the living room and down a ramp onto the patio. Now that it is the rainy season, I get even less done each day.

Just tryin' hard to get something done.
Mike
Jupiter, FL
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tryinhard wrote:I am in Jupiter, about 20 miles North of West Palm Beach. I have a 1983 upgraded to a 510, with a belt sander.

Though I really like it, I've never had much time to make dust--guess I chose the wrong careers. I get two months during the summer to do anything with woodworking.

I'm glad I have the Shopsmith (many tools, little space), because in a townhouse, with no garage or carport, and a laundry room that is too small, the machine and all its equipment is stored in a bedroom. My workshop is the patio. When I can work, the SS is dragged through the living room and down a ramp onto the patio. Now that it is the rainy season, I get even less done each day.

Just tryin' hard to get something done.

Rainy season?

I been hearing much buzz about how long it has been since it rained from my FL acquaintances.:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

I have been very busy lately and have not been on this forum in a while. My mailing address is Sebring FL. but I am about 10 miles SW of town.
I have a 1981 Mark V bought new, other SS tools are a band saw, scroll saw, and a thickness planer.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

JPG40504 wrote:Rainy season?

I been hearing much buzz about how long it has been since it rained from my FL acquaintances.:confused:
Not here! We've had more smoke than rain.:mad:

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG40504 wrote:Rainy season?

we just started to get rain this past week. Since about a week ago it has rained every day. Some days heavy and others passing clouds.
Really hasn't raised the level of the pond in my backyard much. It was down about three feet from where it was after the winter rains ended in Jan.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

It would be nice to get rain instead of all the forest fires and smoke. Looks as if it may rain over the fires today.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
brick1
Gold Member

Post by brick1 »

Hi to all Florida folks!! Bill here, I live in Titusville. and i see another titusville resident! hope to meet and great one day. I live on Sherwood Dr just south of Tropic St.

i have a used 1987 model 510. it came with all the router pieces, the bandsaw, 91 portable planer, air compressor, dado package, and multiple small pieces the former owner used for making crafts. one day, if and when i take the time to completely disassemble and restore, a paint job is on order. for now, i have done enough maintenance and replacement of bearings and such, so as to use it.......as it was built for.

i also have a collection of hand and portable power tools from 40 years of having to work in various parts of the home, without full size machines. i now have a dedicated woodworking shop in the back yard, courtesy of thirty years at the space center and a lay off.

we, my wife and i, visit the woodcraft store on 17-92 when we get out on the weekend. i bought bowl and spindle blanks from them when they were on 436.....about 20 years ago!

a little over a year to full retirement!!!!!!

nice to meet ya'll, bill woodward

Brick1
Titusville, Florida
Dixiegmcsm
Silver Member

Post by Dixiegmcsm »

I'm in Cape Coral, Fl. Near Fort Myers beach. I purchased a 1980 Mark V 500 with bandsaw, scroll saw, jointer, and belt sander three weeks ago and decided to restore it before I even got to use it! It's a big project cause all the accessories are in need of restoration too. It's been a lot of fun in a warped way! I used one of these in 1980 when I was 18 years old and built some nice furniture, so it was kind of cool to find the same year and model. Space Is limited in most Florida suburban homes and these are perfect for the limitation of my home. Trying to talk the wife into letting me use the third bedroom so I have A/C lol, not much luck with that. It's great to see all the shopsmith owners there are still.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Services

Post by billmayo »

Dixiegmcsm wrote:I'm in Cape Coral, Fl. Near Fort Myers beach. I purchased a 1980 Mark V 500 with bandsaw, scroll saw, jointer, and belt sander three weeks ago and decided to restore it before I even got to use it! It's a big project cause all the accessories are in need of restoration too. It's been a lot of fun in a warped way! I used one of these in 1980 when I was 18 years old and built some nice furniture, so it was kind of cool to find the same year and model. Space Is limited in most Florida suburban homes and these are perfect for the limitation of my home. Trying to talk the wife into letting me use the third bedroom so I have A/C lol, not much luck with that. It's great to see all the shopsmith owners there are still.
With the many retired woodworkers in Florida, I have helped set up a bedroom as a w/w shop for a few customers. We blanked off the ventilation duct to the room, removed the carpet, installed a heat/cool AC in one of the windows and added extra sealing around the door. A shop vac or dust collector was kept handy to prevent sawdust from being tracked into the rest of the house.

I allow my customers to watch and/or help me rebuild their equipment if anyone has a need. I have almost any Shopsmith equipment and parts available.

I am looking a 9"-14"metal lathe to buy. I have a like new unique Craftsman 10" belt drive Profession table saw (113.299315) with an 7' table (over 4' between blade and fence), upgraded fence, a Craftsman table saw Routing Extension table (171.253511). This saw has a 3 HP 110 VAC motor and lockable casters. The table extensions are all aluminum. I would like to trade this table saw toward buying a metal lathe if possible.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
Dixiegmcsm
Silver Member

Post by Dixiegmcsm »

Good info billmayo! I just shared it with my wife and she said she would rather I put A/C in the garage! Hmmmmmmmmm good idea!