Looking for milling services

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for milling services

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

ERLover wrote:Oh come on now I feel rediculed!!!! ;)
Love to see pics of the secret room when done and the secret entrance way.
So now the "Man Cave"is dead and it is now a secret room?
Or is the secret room off of the man cave?
When you dont have a SOWMBON, your whole place is a man cave/secret room, but above ground with windows. ;)
This project has been going on even longer than the Slow Boat! :eek: But once the paneling is underway, I'll start a thread to share it. The framing, wiring, and insulation was mostly pretty boring stuff, but I'll post some pics of the highlights.

I consider my woodshop to be my man cave. See, I have proof!
Man cave.jpg
Man cave.jpg (177.96 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
The secret room was always intended as a secret room. When the wife & I built our house 25 years ago, we had our builder reserve some space over the garage. It is right off of my youngest daughter's bedroom. When she actually saw the space back in 2012, the priority level suddenly jumped up a few thousand percent!

The door will be the fun part. I had originally planned on a bookcase type door. But now, since it's a girl's room, I'm thinking of disguising it as a dressing mirror. And, of course, it will actually be a dressing mirror, to boot.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

tdubnik wrote:I would consider posting an ad on Craigslist for the milling. You might find someone with capability in a home workshop near you. I know I could do it in my shop with no problem.
I wish you lived nearby! Just out of curiosity, what kind of equipment do you have?

A CL ad is a good idea. I've never posted a "wanted" ad on it, so I checked that out this morning. I think that if I put in enough keywords such as "woodworking, planer, jointer, thickness sander", etc., it just might get seen by the right person.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

wa2crk wrote:When I was a young guy (a long time ago) my rationale for buying a new tool was this; if the tool cost less than having someone else doing the work for me I would buy the tool. In the long term I would actually save money and still have the tool to use on other jobs. I considered it a win, win situation.
Bill V
Amen to that! But I've gotta go through the out-sourcing exercise first, to find out what it would cost. Otherwise the wife would never condone a machine purchase. Can't really blame her ... I already have a good-sized collection of recently-acquired machines that I had no immediate need for. But, you have to snap up the real bargains whenever they pop up.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
tdubnik wrote:I would consider posting an ad on Craigslist for the milling. You might find someone with capability in a home workshop near you. I know I could do it in my shop with no problem.
I wish you lived nearby! Just out of curiosity, what kind of equipment do you have?

A CL ad is a good idea. I've never posted a "wanted" ad on it, so I checked that out this morning. I think that if I put in enough keywords such as "woodworking, planer, jointer, thickness sander", etc., it just might get seen by the right person.
I have a Grizzly 8" spiral head jointer. Got it on Craigs List for $900 and then sold a Delta thickness sander for $550 so my net out of pocket was $350 for the jointer. I still use my Shopsmith Pro Planer for planning as it is hard to beat.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

tdubnik wrote: I have a Grizzly 8" spiral head jointer. Got it on Craigs List for $900 and then sold a Delta thickness sander for $550 so my net out of pocket was $350 for the jointer. I still use my Shopsmith Pro Planer for planning as it is hard to beat.
I've never used a spiral-head jointer, but I hear that they offer much-improved performance, especially on figured wood. How are you liking it?

Your Pro Planer presumably still has conventional blades, so I'm also curious why you decided to part with the thickness sander.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
tdubnik wrote: I have a Grizzly 8" spiral head jointer. Got it on Craigs List for $900 and then sold a Delta thickness sander for $550 so my net out of pocket was $350 for the jointer. I still use my Shopsmith Pro Planer for planning as it is hard to beat.
I've never used a spiral-head jointer, but I hear that they offer much-improved performance, especially on figured wood. How are you liking it?

Your Pro Planer presumably still has conventional blades, so I'm also curious why you decided to part with the thickness sander.
The jointer seems to do a very good job on whatever I put through it. Grain direction doesn't seem to matter very much and I get no tear out either way.

I didn't really get the jointer for that reason though. I got it because I needed more capacity. I don't know if you read my post a while back about making a lathe duplicator for my Shopsmith but because of that I wound up in the table leg business. Since I made the duplicator, I have turned over 100 sets of legs, most of them 5" in diameter. I needed to be able to make turning blanks faster and that's the reason for the big jointer.

I sold the thickness sander because I hardly ever used it and it make the jointer more affordable. I have a V-Drum sander that I build and it suits my needs better than the thickness sander.
tl2-2-2.jpg
tl2-2-2.jpg (741.83 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
ct4.jpg
ct4.jpg (610.92 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nice legs! ;)

Are you gluing up the blanks from construction lumber?
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Nice legs! ;)
What he said!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

Yes. HD 2x6 studs. These legs are meant for farmhouse tables and are usually painted and distressed.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

tdubnik wrote:

Yes. HD 2x6 studs. These legs are meant for farmhouse tables and are usually painted and distressed.
That's what I thought. I usually show cool stuff on this forum to my wife, but this time I'm afraid to. The Honey-do list is already waaaaaaaaaaaaay to long. :rolleyes: