Adjusting speed for lathing on a 10ER

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

doughpat
Silver Member

Re: Adjusting speed for lathing on a 10ER

Post by doughpat »

Thank you, all. Lining up the belt in a veritcal line makes sense. Very helpful information. 3 speeds. Got it--thank you for your help!

BTW, I believe my SS is still 'all stock'...just don't know what I'm doing :)

Ryan
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Print out these speed charts, they should help.
10ER Chart Side 001.pdf
(283.91 KiB) Downloaded 1725 times
10ER Chart Side 002.pdf
(270.35 KiB) Downloaded 1676 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
ERLover wrote:Can you give us a Pic? I have seen ERs where the pulleys by previous owners where all put on/changed for for there what ever use/thinking!!
Assuming one can get pulleys with the correct bore, about anything goes. However to keep things 'stock' and as intended by the manufacturer, as has already been said big to small, medium to medium, small to big. Both pulleys are 2/3/4 inch diameter, which gets one 1/2, equal, 2x motor
rpm.
That is the problem with the head stock pulley. The bore is 13/16" as I remember. I need to check to be sure. Regardless, it's bore size is not available anywhere I checked in the past. One could probably find a suitable pulley with a smaller bore and have it bored out. The motor pulley is not a problem since it is 5/8" which is available.

I checked and the head stock pulley bore is indeed 13/16".
FYI you should be able to find a 13/16 reamer such as the one below for less than $20. Chuck it up and ream by hand turning the chuck using the quill

Grizzly G9445 - Chucking Reamer - HSS 13/16"

Everett
Reamer.jpg
Reamer.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 14531 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
Assuming one can get pulleys with the correct bore, about anything goes. However to keep things 'stock' and as intended by the manufacturer, as has already been said big to small, medium to medium, small to big. Both pulleys are 2/3/4 inch diameter, which gets one 1/2, equal, 2x motor
rpm.
That is the problem with the head stock pulley. The bore is 13/16" as I remember. I need to check to be sure. Regardless, it's bore size is not available anywhere I checked in the past. One could probably find a suitable pulley with a smaller bore and have it bored out. The motor pulley is not a problem since it is 5/8" which is available.

FYI you should be able to find a 13/16 reamer such as the one below for less than $20. Chuck it up and ream by hand turning the chuck using the quill

EverettReamer.jpg
A question because I don't know. The closest bore diameter to 13/16" is 3/4". Will a reamer work when removing 1/16"? Actually 1/32" radius.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

If you need that odd size pulley go here, he will fix you up, or get the speed changer off of Ebay.
http://mkctools.com/
He is great, made me up a 5" for the head stock one of my dedicated ER drill press's for lower end rpms with a speed changer besides.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Darn, the more I read these 10ER posts. the more I want a 10ER. :D
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I just hadn't given it any thought since I have others and don't use the 10-ER much yet. I looked on one of my trips downstairs to the woodshop today and I was remembering right... My 10-ER has a triple pulley on the headstock but a double on the motor. I assume that the double is not original. At least that's the easy one to buy but that doesn't matter too much, I have a metal lathe in the farm shop that has been used to bore pulleys, bearings and sleeves on farm equipment for some time. I'll probably replace both pulleys, the top one works but looks a little tired.
I'm not in any hurry but I would like to eventually pick up a variable speed drive for it, "just because".

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

jsburger wrote:
everettdavis wrote:
jsburger wrote:

EverettReamer.jpg
A question because I don't know. The closest bore diameter to 13/16" is 3/4". Will a reamer work when removing 1/16"? Actually 1/32" radius.
That would be a bit much to ream out yourself manually. A machine shop is set up for that sort of work and will run coolant on the cut. Much of it depends on the pulley material itself, and how well you can secure it for the boring/reaming process. You will want it to run true. I have attached a reaming guide for your reference which gets into the weeds more.

Everett
reaming-guide.pdf
(435.1 KiB) Downloaded 7329 times