telescoping coupler

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: telescoping coupler

Post by rjent »

heathicus wrote:I just build a model for this in my CAD software. I should be able to do a test print this weekend and can send some out for the price of shipping to anyone here that wants to test it.
Yes sir, I will be a guinea pig for you as well. Let me know how much, I will paypal the amount ...

Neat idea, but I don't really mind moving the HS ... :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

jsburger wrote:
reible wrote:You don't need a screw driver after you do the initial install. The spring holds it in place, watch the video and how it is removed at the end.

ed

garys wrote: I think it actually takes less time to move the power unit an inch or two than it would take to grab a screwdriver, remove the screw, and remove the coupler.
I noticed that but then what is the purpose of the screw in that end? What did I miss?
The screw keeps the two pieces together and allows the spring to compress by way of a built in slot. Without it the spring would push the parts apart and into to pieces.

Just got back from Star Wars. Three generational outing for us and a pretty good movie.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My biggest concern with something like that is the lack of the "release" spring that Shopsmith has on theirs. Without that, a broken coupler would quick become an unguided missle in your shop. That spring in the original Shopsmith design serves the very important purpose of ejecting the broken end from the drive side so it doesn't end up embedded in something or someone.
tdorey
Gold Member

Post by tdorey »

It all depends on how you use your SS. Some guys like mentioned above remove tools when they are done.

I don't have the space for that so in most cases, I leave on the bandsaw. I don't like using the sanding disc and have the band saw run at same time. With a project I may go back and forth from Bandsaw to disc sander.

A quick release coupler would help.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:My biggest concern with something like that is the lack of the "release" spring that Shopsmith has on theirs. Without that, a broken coupler would quick become an unguided missle in your shop. That spring in the original Shopsmith design serves the very important purpose of ejecting the broken end from the drive side so it doesn't end up embedded in something or someone.
I agree it is a safety mechanism. However, I always thought it's purpose was to ensure the coupler remained on the SPT and not the head stock when the head stock is moved. That ensures you don't turn the head stock on with the coupler on the spindle.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

heathicus wrote:I just build a model for this in my CAD software. I should be able to do a test print this weekend and can send some out for the price of shipping to anyone here that wants to test it.
I would also be interested in testing the coupler. Please PM with the appropriate info.

Thanks,

Paul
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Sorry for the delay on this. My time hasn't been what I thought it was going to be! I have managed to make a couple tests, but I still need to make some adjustments. I'm working on it, just slowly.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

I went ahead and bought one off ebay last week..It works great, makes my life so much easier. I agree if your SS works ok this is probably not needed, but in my case, my way tubes on the BS end of the SS are warped from years of over tightening would be my guess, (got this unit after dad passed, his solution to every thing was put some muscle into it...lol) so moving the head unit on that end is very hard, takes two hands and some body weight to move it close enough to hook up. From just left of center to the right, works like butter, but hooking up my BS or any other tool on that side is a major work out. This telescope coupler is perfect for me, allows me to keep my head unit on the smooth side, in fact I basically don't need to move it at all, just pop off the couple when BS not needed. Don't use the SS enough for the expense of repairing the way tubes, so this is an excellent solution, wish I knew about it years ago. Really not much longer then the standard coupler, maybe two inches, but being removable with out need to move the head unit, priceless.
mountain4don
Gold Member

Post by mountain4don »

superpop wrote:Sorry but this seems silly to me. It takes about 2 seconds to loosen the motor and slide back and forth.
I agree with this statement. The original design is too easy to operate and doesn't have the vibration problem showing on the U-Tube video that probably will wear out and break that wood/plastic one in a short time.