Nuts! I busted it! Are new ones available?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Nuts! I busted it! Are new ones available?

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
I don't think the castors are '47 vintage as the metal legs are not '47 vintage. Those early Model 10's came with a blue print to build an all wood bench.
"research"reveals the truth of what thee said.

Original 'packing list' makes no mention of either casters nor bench legs. It does however mention bench plans! Installation instructions are also 'in the library' of documentation that came with the '47' for casters and a separate one for bench.
Your castors may very well be one of the first versions that none of us have ever seen. Another piece in the evolution of the Model 10. Pictures would be nice to see how they compare to later versions. I can't imagine why one would design something with a roll pin that could not be removed easily.
Lack of foresight? Lack of seeing the need to ever remove them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
"research"reveals the truth of what thee said.

Original 'packing list' makes no mention of either casters nor bench legs. It does however mention bench plans! Installation instructions are also 'in the library' of documentation that came with the '47' for casters and a separate one for bench.
Your castors may very well be one of the first versions that none of us have ever seen. Another piece in the evolution of the Model 10. Pictures would be nice to see how they compare to later versions. I can't imagine why one would design something with a roll pin that could not be removed easily.
You could be correct. I just don't see an engineer designing something that you can put together and not being able to get apart easily. Especially something as simple as this. Roll pins are meant to be driven in and driven out. That is why we have pin punches. But, Oh well apparently it happened.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
You could be correct. I just don't see an engineer designing something that you can put together and not being able to get apart easily. Especially something as simple as this. Roll pins are meant to be driven in and driven out. That is why we have pin punches. But, Oh well apparently it happened.
Tried working on a car recently???? :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

I would also like to see pictures of what you have for a 1947 caster set. I agree with John about the benches and retractable caster sets being available in 1947. The Retractable Casters were designed to fit the bench legs on the wood bench design they provided besides the metal bench ends they sold. Some metal bench ends I have had did not have predrilled holes for the Retractable Casters. This is one of the reasons that leads me to believe that the metal bench ends preceded the retractable casters. A May 1, 1949 catalog I have has the metal bench ends listed in it but not the Retractable Casters. That's a second reason. An earlier catalog that is undated does not have either the metal bench ends or the retractable casters. One Model 10 I purchased was on a wood bench like the design provided and had the retractable casters attached to it. They were on the outside ends of the bench.

John,

I have 5 sets of retractable casters currently and all have pin holes all the way through the cams. I don't remember if any have had holes only part way through.

I will have to do some more research on this.

Sorry I don't have more time to go into this at this time but have to go food shopping before we are put in "lock down" in Oregon.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
Tried working on a car recently???? :eek:
Touche :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Unfortunately the cams now have through holes since I had to drill them throgh to remove the pins.

The bench legs instructions are not dated.

The caster instructions include both the metal legs and shop made wooden bench legs guide. The instructions are dated Aug 51.

When I get a chance I will take pix of them. Somewhere here is a thread that may already have pix. I will look for that also.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry to the OP. We have gone off on another tangent related to the original post. This happens sometimes but bear with us. We are still happy to help you further if needed.

I have now had some time to do a little research on this. I have two copies of

instructions for installation and operation
RETRACTABLE CASTER ASSEMBLY

The first is an original print dated AUG51 and the second is a digital PDF copy dated MAY52. The only difference between the two is the part numbers. The first (Aug 51) has the early Model 10 part numbers and the second has the numbers after the November 1951 change. If you have a copy of either of these retractable caster mounting instructions see note in number 4.

Looking at the accessories catalogs I have both original print copies and digital PDF copies I find the first one that has the metal bench ends (P/N 122-1X) is dated May 1, 1949. I have a three different earlier catalogs, based on what is available in each catalog, but without dates that do not have the metal bench ends. The earliest catalog that has the retractable casters along with the metal bench ends is marked DA 3-12-1050 and I believe would be from Oct. 1950.

While we are talking about the metal bench ends, I have seen three different styles of angle brackets but I am not sure what order they came out in. One is round tube brackets with flattened and rounded ends. Another is angle brackets with rounded ends and the last is angle brackets with square ends.

It is, of course, this sharing of information back and forth that we all learn more about these tools that we enjoy so much.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My bench instructions are 'coded' 122-13-0351 (Mar 31?)

Note under step 4 says skip steps 567... if holes already in legs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Random thoughts.

There were no castors in 1947. Someone bought castors later for JPG's 1947 Model 10. Metal ends pre-date castors since there are metal ends without castor holes. So metal ends came out around 1949. Castors came out around 1950 hence early metal bench ends with out castor holes. The wood bench has similar dimensions as the bench made with metal ends (my assumption, haven't checked) hence the (early) castor instructions addressing installation on the original wood bench.

JPG may have one of the first sets of castors made since it has/had roll pin holes only half way through. Prototype??? That was quickly changed to through holes since JPG's is the only example we know of.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

I agree since all the information I have supports those conclusions. My 1947 Model 10E S/N 1077 is on a bench with metal bench ends and retractable casters. It did not come that way originally. It didn't even come that way when I bought it. Model 10's did not come on a bench and it was up to the buyer to make one for it. I call it an upgrade from what it was previously mounted to as I said in the thread on it's restoration. It's been 70 plus or minus a few years since all the Model 10's were made and that has allowed for trading of parts between machines. One incomplete Model 10ER that was given to me was from a guy who was "combining" the best parts of a Model 10E and a 10ER. I don't know the serial number of the 10E but the 10ER is S/N R41856. He had even put the metal extension table on the extension bracket and the tailstock for the wood extension table. See the picture below. What I received is in the foreground plus a few additional parts.
00x0x_2nvcWyx6sww_600x450.jpg
00x0x_2nvcWyx6sww_600x450.jpg (48.68 KiB) Viewed 8874 times
I show this as an example of what swapping of parts adds to the confusion of what version of parts actually goes with what serial number range of the Shopsmith Model 10's. The knob on the wood table bracket and tailstock (background) is the base plate knob used to lock it in the drill press position from the 10ER. It replaced upper threaded stud, washer and wing nut

JPG,

That is the note I referred to in step 4 and should have just stated it. The "coding" on the manuals like your example, I believe, use the last four digits for the month and year. It was the same conclusion we used for the early Mark 5 manuals with the copyright year and the last numbers of the catalog number. It would have been nice for us now if they had put actual dates on these documents.
JPG may have one of the first sets of castors made since it has/had roll pin holes only half way through. Prototype??? That was quickly changed to through holes since JPG's is the only example we know of.
This is possible. As we know many changes occurred throughout the production of the Model 10's.
Russ

Mark V 520