Gallery of Restorations

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wingrider
Gold Member

Post by wingrider »

JPG40504 wrote:I have spent more than 12 hrs just trying to get some rusty parts to 'separate'.:D
JPG, It was not to rusty so it came apart just fine. The hardest part was getting the bearing off the shafts but was not to bad once I got the right puller. This was a two week project, but time spent was about 12 hours give or take. Not sure of actual time as I didn't keep that close track of it. I just enjoyed being able to do the work myself and the reward is gratifying.:)
54greenie
Bronze Member

My Restoration Project

Post by 54greenie »

I was gifted a 54 Greenie earlier this summer. Just finished my restoration - thanks for all the inspiration! It was a lot of fun. Here are a few pics...
Attachments
Finished.JPG
Finished.JPG (121.18 KiB) Viewed 12505 times
Quill Feed.JPG
Quill Feed.JPG (149.42 KiB) Viewed 12346 times
Speed Control.JPG
Speed Control.JPG (128.33 KiB) Viewed 12348 times
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

54greenie wrote:I was gifted a 54 Greenie earlier this summer. Just finished my restoration - thanks for all the inspiration! It was a lot of fun. Here are a few pics...

How did you polish the chrome parts or did you re-chrome? If you re-chromed them how is that done?
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
bigjohn1
Gold Member

Post by bigjohn1 »

54greenie wrote:I was gifted a 54 Greenie earlier this summer. Just finished my restoration - thanks for all the inspiration! It was a lot of fun. Here are a few pics...
Omg that looks so good like it was never used very very nice.

I just picked up a 58 Greenie from what I hear from the original owner and paid 50 bucks also 15 dollars in gas to pick it up need some work motor works but quill not turning will check it out he did add a new belt so he told me but didn't work for him I told him when I get it running will email him tell him its alive. Most of it looks really good the bottom tubes forget there name have some surface rust and other then a good cleaning looks great not sure If it will ever shine like yours dang thats nice. and a jointer also.

Just to lets you guys know the 58 greenie for 50 bucks is running well could use some new parts like a porkchop and a quill the whole top drive would be nice will see what comes up. All it needs now is a lot of cleaning. Best 50 bucks ever spent even If I had used just for some parts.
Mark V 500
Bandsaw
Jointer
Jigsaw
Belt Sander Now a 1956 greenie
54greenie
Bronze Member

Post by 54greenie »

Thanks! Credit should go to Mickyd - he restored a 55 Greenie and posted his progress. Learned a lot from viewing his posts. From his site I learned how to make the alluminum shine - my power sander was too big so I sanded mine by hand and then used different compounds and a buffer wheel on my drill...

I purchased a 62 Jigsaw too. It is a Goldie and I planned on restoring it as well. It is just in too good of shape, can't get myself to make it match my Greenie. Might just have to find a Goldie to restore; so far my wife has nixed that idea! :(
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

Ya know, I was just reviewing these and I think the two tone paint jobs (original or not) have it all over the grey systems.:) They are just a much more interesting tool to look at when their is a two tone scheme. And in case anyone is wondering I do have both.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Wow, what a great display of master workmanship. Why don't I ever come across one of these on Craigslist :D Two tone paint jobs were the rage in the 50's and 60's on cars as well. Now all cars look alike. Dull and uninteresting.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I forgot all about this thread
My 1955 "Greenie"

Before (Old Blue)
and
After now a pleasant black and silver.

Enjoy
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Terry, this is very nice work.
In fact it is so nice and shiny that the camera had some trouble focusing ....
Just pulling you leg a little bit.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

camerio wrote:Terry, this is very nice work.
In fact it is so nice and shiny that the camera had some trouble focusing ....
Just pulling you leg a little bit.
No, that was the operator.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX