Squaring a board

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mac293
Bronze Member

Squaring a board

Post by mac293 »

What is the best way to square a board that does not have a flat side?
Thanks,
mac
richwalker1946
Bronze Member

Squaring a Board

Post by richwalker1946 »

If I recall correctly from the Shopsmith Academy:

1. Rip one edge of the board on a table saw
2. Run that edge across a jointer to square the edge
3. Rip the other edge on a table saw - this gives you parallel sides
4. Crosscut the ends and this should give you a square bord.
nekhoma
Bronze Member

How do you rip the first edge?

Post by nekhoma »

If the board is 4 sides rough, how do you cut the first edge stright? You must have 1 flat side to run against a fence to rip it...
philcollins
Bronze Member

Phil Collins (I DON'T SING)

Post by philcollins »

Fasten the board to a piece of scrap plywood or MDF with clamps, screws or braces you made in the shop. Steady it with shims so that one long side of the ply can touch the fence. Cut off the other side as needed, then proceed as previously mentioned.
roycroft
Bronze Member

Post by roycroft »

If one of the edges isn't too bad, then just jointing an edge with a jointer or #5 or #7 plane should straighten things out. From that point, then you can parrallel the board and crosscut it.

If the crook in the board is too extreme, either cut the board down in length to make it more usable, OR, draw a line on the board with a straight edge or chaulk line, band saw/hand saw to the line, and follow up with the jointer
petersfaith
Bronze Member

squaring as borad

Post by petersfaith »

If you do not have an edge straight enough to use, attach a straight edge to the board by screws or nails and use that edge to the rip fence and you can saw a perfectly straight edge on the other side.
mac293
Bronze Member

Thank You all

Post by mac293 »

These are all excellent tips! I especially like the idea of clamping it to another board and sawing. This should give me one straight edge to work from.
Actually it is a piece of steel I'm trying to square using a grinding/cutting disk on my shopsmith so I don't think I will run it through my jointer!

mac
bashfulbob
Gold Member

Squaring Lumber

Post by bashfulbob »

Life is what happens in between Plans.:)
bashfulbob
Gold Member

Squaring a board

Post by bashfulbob »

Hi
My Workbench Magazine came in yesterday and in it is an artiv=cle on how to square a board. The cover of the mag is a small shop and the vol is 62, No. 5 Issue 297, October 2006.

It deals with using only power equipment using only the jointer, planner and tablesaw. It seems to be a pretty good article. If you don't have a jointer, it gives you steps on how to use a planner instead.

mac293 wrote:What is the best way to square a board that does not have a flat side?
Thanks,
mac
Life is what happens in between Plans.:)