DIY PowerPro Installation

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

DIY PowerPro Installation

Post by fredsheldon »

Ha, they said it would take 4 hours :mad: Since I'm one of those who believe you measure 3 times and cut once, it took me 10 hours. I followed the DVD to the letter, stopping and starting it as I performed each step. And I'm mechanically inclined:eek: Having the garage air conditioned that morning really helped keep me stay focused. It was over 100 outside and a nice cool 78 in the workshop. The serial number for my PowerPro was printed on the power supply, controller and motor but no where outside where you can see it after the install. Mine is # 6568 with a date stamp of June 18, 2012.
[ATTACH]17939[/ATTACH]
My PowerPro has arrived. Much smaller box than I was expecting.
[ATTACH]17940[/ATTACH]
Got my Laptop at the ready with the DVD loaded and ready to go.
[ATTACH]17941[/ATTACH]
Got all the new shafts installed and ready to install the motor
[ATTACH]17938[/ATTACH]
My new Mr. Slim Split Air Conditioner pumping out 15,000 BTU's of cool air. It's over 100 outside and a cool 78 in my garage.
Attachments
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG (68.13 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
DSC_0081.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG (114.43 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0094.JPG (94.32 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0106.JPG (130.45 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
jcgorla
Gold Member

Post by jcgorla »

Fred, you said it took you 10 hours, but would you call it challenging? I'm looking to do a DIY PowerPro upgrade when I have a chance.

Also, did you install your AC unti yourself? I'd like to do something like that to my garage.

John
Making sawdust in Lake Ridge, VA
Shopsmith Mark V, 520 Upgrade, Jointer, DC 3300, Router Table, Several DeWalt power tools
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Fred
I believe that the number that you think is a serial number for the PP is actually the serial number of the motor only which comes from Teknatool in New Zealand. The SS number will be a date code and is contained on a small sticker that is to be put on the outside of the headstock under the large instruction sticker.
Bill V
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

John,

I felt it was not too difficult. Now that I have done one I probably could do the second one in 2 or 3 hours, not counting time taking the old parts out. I took it slow and easy because I didn't want to make a dumb mistake, because that might be painful, money wise :eek: I would recommend buying a tap and die set, to clean out all the threads before they become cross threads. It really helps if you have access to the dvd while you are doing the work. You will be stopping and backing up many times to re-review the instructions. It really helps if you clean and wax all openings before installing the new parts. The only thing I did differently was to expand the new power cord hole with increasing sized drill bits instead of using a rat tail file. I probably saved 30 minutes. Just don't rush it, take your time and enjoy the learning process. You will have a much better understanding of how things work under the hood after this project.

I would also have a shopvac available to suck up all the metal filings you create before they have a chance to fall into the interior of your headstock.

I blew 20 bags of insulation into the attic above the garage and installed insulating panels from Lowes to the inside of the garage door. The A/C is a 15,000 btu Mr. Slim and is a split system which was installed by two professionals in 3 hours. Google Mr. Slim.

Fred
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

wa2crk wrote:Fred
I believe that the number that you think is a serial number for the PP is actually the serial number of the motor only which comes from Teknatool in New Zealand. The SS number will be a date code and is contained on a small sticker that is to be put on the outside of the headstock under the large instruction sticker.
Bill V
Bill,

That makes sense. I will look for the outside sticker.

Fred
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

fredsheldon wrote:Bill,

That makes sense. I will look for the outside sticker.

Fred

As I posted on another thread the sticker is blank for the DIY upgrade.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Ok, I drilled out 30 wood blanks for my pen/letter opener gift kits, drilled some 1/2 inch holes, sanded some dowls down with the disk sander and used the band saw to cut 40 more pen blanks using my new PowerPro. The first thing I noticed was how quiet this upgrade is. I also like the way you can dial in what piece of equipment you are using, blade size, type of wood and it sets the speed for you :D Also like the way you can adjust the speed up and down 1 rpm at a time on the fly. Next will be to turn my pens blanks once the glue dries. This will be the true test for me. Do I think the upgrade was worth it. Yes.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fredsheldon wrote:Ok, I drilled out 30 wood blanks for my pen/letter opener gift kits, drilled some 1/2 inch holes, sanded some dowls down with the disk sander and used the band saw to cut 40 more pen blanks using my new PowerPro. The first thing I noticed was how quiet this upgrade is. I also like the way you can dial in what piece of equipment you are using, blade size, type of wood and it sets the speed for you :D Also like the way you can adjust the speed up and down 1 rpm at a time on the fly. Next will be to turn my pens blanks once the glue dries. This will be the true test for me. Do I think the upgrade was worth it. Yes.
OKAY, I'll bite.

What is there about turning pen blanks that makes this the "true test".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:OKAY, I'll bite.

Because that is what he uses it for!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

dusty wrote:OKAY, I'll bite.

Dusty, what I really liked was the ability to press 1350 and start turning the pen blanks, then press 2000 and start sanding and then press 3450 and start applying polishing compound, then press the up arrow to increase the speed from 3450 to 6000 as I buffed out the polish with a dry cloth. Then I just hit stop, no cranking down the speed control like before. Remove finished pens, install new blanks, press 1350, press start and begin the process all over again. I was able to select the same exact speeds for each step of the process for each new pen set without having to crank the speed control up and down each time. I turned and finished 15 pens/letter openers in 2 hours last night. And of course, it's so quiet you have to check to see if the motor is actually on :D Is it worth $1,400. For me the answer is yes, but it helps to have a little cash sitting in your bank account looking for something to be spent on :p
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx