Zero Clearance Inserts (ZCI)

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Zero Clearance Inserts (ZCI)

Post by dusty »

How popular are Zero Clearance Inserts?

We all use Table Inserts but how many of us use ZCI?

Of those who use ZCI, how many of us make our own?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... nserts.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

What is the advantage of a ZCI? I'm new to Shopsmiths so I don't have enough experience to realize the benefits of such items.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

dusty wrote:How popular are Zero Clearance Inserts?

We all use Table Inserts but how many of us use ZCI?

Of those who use ZCI, how many of us make our own?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... nserts.htm
I have made several of my own over the years but grabbed 3 of the phenolic inserts from Peachtree last year while they were on sale for $9.99 ea.

Jack
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Dusty;
I use a ZCI about 80 to 90% of the time. I think that I only use the SS insert is when I make a bevel cut and need the extra clearance.
At Christmas time I make a bunch of doll cradles for the Toys for Tots program and the angle cuts (even though they are made at 90 deg) produce narrow triangular pieces that can get caught in the standard insert and I use ZCI's for these cuts.
I do make my own because I consider them expendable just like sacrificial fences.
Bill V
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I use my SS for almost all my cutting. The exception is I break down sheet goods in the garage with a circular saw (I can't get a 4 x 8 sheet into the shop).

I make my own ZCI's from hardwood and use them all the time. I have 3 for dado set work and another for normal cross cuts and ripping. (By way of full disclosure - when making cuts with the dado set - technically it's a near ZCI. I select the one closest to the size I need. One accepts a 1/2 set, one 3/8 and the other 1/4. So in a shallow cut there's a gap at the front and rear of the cutter and if the cut is deeper, then the insert approaches zero.)

I've never made one for bevel cuts but the next time I go down that road I'll make one. I have one blank on hand. IMHO I think they add a lot to safe woodworking.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

fredsheldon wrote:What is the advantage of a ZCI? I'm new to Shopsmiths so I don't have enough experience to realize the benefits of such items.
There are at least 2 advantages to ZCIs. First, by supporting the workpiece all the way to the cutting edge it minimizes chip out on the bottom surface of the work piece. Second, by closing the gap, it reduces the probability of cut offs being made into projectiles because the cut off can't fall down into the blade.

On the negative side, on a Shopsmith it eliminates the ability to adjust the quill to shave a hair off of a rip cut.

I keep telling myself to make some ZCIs for my Shopsmith but just never seem to get around to it.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

For my 500, I made one with changeable inserts. The base part is MDF. Probably not the best but it was a proto. In use for 2 years now, though.
[ATTACH]19954[/ATTACH]
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (94.73 KiB) Viewed 8956 times
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
Randy
Gold Member

Post by Randy »

I only use one with my thin kerf blade.
bffulgham
Gold Member

Yep, me too

Post by bffulgham »

Made 5 or 6 of them quite awhile back when I had some free time and some BB cut-offs.
[ATTACH]19955[/ATTACH]

For the next round, I plan on using these laminate planks left over from a flooring project.
[ATTACH]19956[/ATTACH]

I rough-cut them on the band saw and use a pattern bit in the router to cut to final shape...using a standard SS insert for the pattern.

Not only do they keep slivers and cut-offs from dropping inside, and reduce chip-out on the bottom; they also seem to make dust collection work better.
Attachments
IMG_1530 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1530 (Custom).JPG (69.69 KiB) Viewed 8946 times
IMG_1531 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1531 (Custom).JPG (52.71 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fredsheldon wrote:What is the advantage of a ZCI? I'm new to Shopsmiths so I don't have enough experience to realize the benefits of such items.

The answers have already been provided by others but:

I began using ZCI to protect from clip out when working with MDF that had been veneered.

The fact that chips and cutoffs cannot get down into the lower saw guard only to be kicked back at the operator encouraged me to continue their use.

I have the cut line marked on my ZCI which helps me to line up for a cut.

It is my opinion that dust collection is improved when I have the ZCI installed. However, what does not get collected in the lower saw guard tends to ride with the currents and comes back top side (in your face). This can be avoided by using the upper saw guard.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.