Shopsmith 20" Scroll Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The SS Scroll Saw has a blade backer that when set even with the back of the blade on the uppermost part of the stroke, I think it is (almost) impossible to break a blade by feeding too fast.:confused:

I'll bet he had the blades mounted incorrectly.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

charlese wrote:The SS Scroll Saw has a blade backer that when set even with the back of the blade on the uppermost part of the stroke, I think it is (almost) impossible to break a blade by feeding too fast.:confused:

I'll bet he had the blades mounted incorrectly.
Yea may have even had them upside down, some of those blades are really small when you get into the #3,2 or 1 blades. and it is very easy to get the orientation wrong....

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I acquired one a few months ago for $75. I purchased the quick blade disconnect upgrade and it works great. I also just finished with a restore on a 10ER and Jig Saw and it also is a workhorse. I like the variable speed control on the scroll saw. I also purchased the foot switch and that really made a difference. Just make sure the rear table support is not broken. SS still sells the part if it is and it doesn't cost much.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

Thanks for all the advice guys. Called the guy a few minutes ago and made plans to pick it up :D :D . Unfortunatley due to scheduling cannot pick it up until the 29th.:o :o :o

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

Brought home the scroll saw today and as I suspected, the skip tooth blade was put on upside down with the teeth pointing up versus down which can cause the wood to be lifted off the table and cause blade breakage as seen in this photo.

[ATTACH]21228[/ATTACH]

The following pictures are of the machine itself, it is in great shape, even has the castor wheels, not sure if these were optional or not.

[ATTACH]21229[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately it does not have the quick blade change, so guess I will be making that purchase.

[ATTACH]21230[/ATTACH]

However I must say she purrs like a kitten and will be a definite upgrade from my Porter Cable which I am giving to my father. Now I just have to download the manual and do any necessary maintenance before trying her out.
Attachments
Tooth Orientation.jpg
Tooth Orientation.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 19371 times
Full Shot.jpg
Full Shot.jpg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 19406 times
Headstock.jpg
Headstock.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 19365 times
Todd (Canton, TX)

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Purrs like a kitten sounds good indeed. The casters are an 'extra cost' accessory(adds greatly to its value).

The older blade holders although not as 'convenient' work quite well!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jjj240
Gold Member

Re: Shopsmith 20" Scroll Saw

Post by jjj240 »

tgamel wrote:I was just curious if anyone on here has purchased or used the 20" scroll saw listed n the picture below. I just purchased a 1962 Goldie yesterday and the gentlemen I purchased it from had one collecting dust in his shop. When I saw it I said "wow, wish my Porter Cable scroll saw table was that large." He told me for $200 it was mine, that every time he tried to use it he broke the blade. This is of course not uncommon for new scroll saw users and should be no reflection on the saw. There was no room in the trailer yesterday for it, but am thinking about going back and buying it. The price is about the same as I paid for my PC new about 6 months ago.

[ATTACH]21026[/ATTACH]

If you have one or have used one, how does it compare to other scroll saws? Do you like it? I see it is still being offered on the SS website for $699.00. I could buy quite a few replacement parts for the Goldie for $200, but not sure if I will come across another of these soon and in as good of shape as it appeared. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Todd
just out of curiosity, this saw does not show pulley(?) to mount on Shopsmith. so.. is it designed for stand alone unit only?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jjj240 wrote:
tgamel wrote:I was just curious if anyone on here has purchased or used the 20" scroll saw listed n the picture below. I just purchased a 1962 Goldie yesterday and the gentlemen I purchased it from had one collecting dust in his shop. When I saw it I said "wow, wish my Porter Cable scroll saw table was that large." He told me for $200 it was mine, that every time he tried to use it he broke the blade. This is of course not uncommon for new scroll saw users and should be no reflection on the saw. There was no room in the trailer yesterday for it, but am thinking about going back and buying it. The price is about the same as I paid for my PC new about 6 months ago.

[ATTACH]21026[/ATTACH]

If you have one or have used one, how does it compare to other scroll saws? Do you like it? I see it is still being offered on the SS website for $699.00. I could buy quite a few replacement parts for the Goldie for $200, but not sure if I will come across another of these soon and in as good of shape as it appeared. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Todd
just out of curiosity, this saw does not show pulley(?) to mount on Shopsmith. so.. is it designed for stand alone unit only?
Yep.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It came in two models and still does in the Teal color. The stand mounted model and the Mark mounted model. I have the same gray one in the Mark mount model which I keep and use on a Power Station.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:It came in two models and still does in the Teal color. The stand mounted model and the Mark mounted model. I have the same gray one in the Mark mount model which I keep and use on a Power Station.
The free stand model is not available any more is it?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT