New Shop....Finally

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tgamel
Gold Member

New Shop....Finally

Post by tgamel »

This summer has been frustrating, having just moved from the night shift which I worked for 18 years to the day shift, I found that working in my in-laws garage during the day has quickly become unbearable. Even with the huge fan that I have the high temperatures (100 to 110) simply did not make it easy or enjoyable to work in the shop. Because of this I have not been working in the shop and have not been on the sight much. Maybe I am just getting old and less heat tolerant, but it was time for a new shop. So I sold the one thing I had to make this a reality my corvette.

[ATTACH]22563[/ATTACH]

I purchased a 12x26 metal building as a base for my shop. Had them place 4 outlets 4' off the ground lengthwise along the walls, 2 outlets on each end and a 220 plug for my combination 18,000 BTU window unit air conditioner/heater. In addition I had them place 4 plugs in the ceiling so that I can hang four 4 bulb shop light, leaving me extra plugs to drop down specific lighting for areas that might require it. After that I had them spray foam the entire building for insulation. I am thinking about just finishing off the inside in peg board and painting it white to help reflect light and give it a clean look. Was hoping it would be delivered today but probably will not happen. Below is a picture of a similar building to the one I purchased, the color is different but the basic layout is the same. This building was a repo and in great shape. I measured the door prior to purchase and all my equipment will fit in easily. Anyway I hope to be back up and running soon in my own space.

[ATTACH]22565[/ATTACH]

Todd
Attachments
Corvette Web-1.jpg
Corvette Web-1.jpg (132.64 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Storage Building-1.jpg
Storage Building-1.jpg (64.23 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Congratulations! I think you'll find there's not much better than having your own place to be creative. I'd take that over a corvette any day!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

That should make you a great shop.
I like pegboard but I really like the cleat system I am using more. It works well for pegboard as well. I'm just hanging smaller pegboard panels from the cleats. That way I can move them anyplace and still have the stronger cleats to hang much heavier stuff. Anything you can get up off of the floor and on the walls is normally a space gain.
Consider mounting a ceiling fan to help move the AC output around a little. Even better would be an air scrubber to remove dust and move air both. Another thought would be putting shade cloth at the windows to not only reduce sun heat but to kill glare from the sun when it is lower and shining brightly in the windows.
Have fun... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Todd:

Shop sounds great, have fun in that baby.

Robinson:

The cleat system, is that a purchased system or home grown?

Jack
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Jack Wilson wrote:Todd:

Shop sounds great, have fun in that baby.

Robinson:

The cleat system, is that a purchased system or home grown?

Jack

All home grown.
Discussion of it starts on page 7 of this thread and is better explained in a link to someone else's shop on page 8. Mine is simpler than his. :)
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9215

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:All home grown.
Discussion of it starts on page 7 of this thread and is better explained in a link to someone else's shop on page 8. Mine is simpler than his. :)
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9215

Post # 70 Page two with my set options.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

robinson46176 wrote:That should make you a great shop.
I like pegboard but I really like the cleat system I am using more. It works well for pegboard as well. I'm just hanging smaller pegboard panels from the cleats. That way I can move them anyplace and still have the stronger cleats to hang much heavier stuff. Anything you can get up off of the floor and on the walls is normally a space gain.
Consider mounting a ceiling fan to help move the AC output around a little. Even better would be an air scrubber to remove dust and move air both. Another thought would be putting shade cloth at the windows to not only reduce sun heat but to kill glare from the sun when it is lower and shining brightly in the windows.
Have fun... :)

Cool idea, will check it out. I am starting with a blank canvas so to speak and am not dead set on any particular idea, other than I would like to setup my DC3300 for all my saws. Will keep looking at other folks shops for inspiration. Thanks for the idea.

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
apexsunguitars
Gold Member

Post by apexsunguitars »

nice, thats a great bit of space. for the industrial shelters that my company builds we have found that a white paint on the ceiling and walls definately helps with illumination. we tend to use a grey epoxy paint on the floor so it doesnt get blinding and its pretty tough. Do you plan on installing the light fixtures in a single row (I am assuming 4' fixtures) along the peak? If so then you may want to look at fixtures that do not have reflectors and just use your white ceiling to bounce the light around. I have found that reflectors will sometimes limit the spread too much. By comparison, if i were designing a work shelter where i wanted 50 foot candles of illumnination (measured at a level of 36" off of the floor) then i would use two rows of five dual 2x60W HO fixtures (4' length) to achieve this. You may find that the fixtures you have in mind may not provide the spread that you want.
1991 Mark V / 510 with ODS Kit
1983 Mark V / 500 Series w/ 11" bandsaw, 20" Scrollsaw (Currently tearing the SS down for a complete and thorough cleaning and tuning)
1956 Mark V / 500 PartsSmith (DOA) w/ Magna Jointer and Bandsaw
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

apexsunguitars wrote:nice, thats a great bit of space. for the industrial shelters that my company builds we have found that a white paint on the ceiling and walls definately helps with illumination. we tend to use a grey epoxy paint on the floor so it doesnt get blinding and its pretty tough. Do you plan on installing the light fixtures in a single row (I am assuming 4' fixtures) along the peak? If so then you may want to look at fixtures that do not have reflectors and just use your white ceiling to bounce the light around. I have found that reflectors will sometimes limit the spread too much. By comparison, if i were designing a work shelter where i wanted 50 foot candles of illumnination (measured at a level of 36" off of the floor) then i would use two rows of five dual 2x60W HO fixtures (4' length) to achieve this. You may find that the fixtures you have in mind may not provide the spread that you want.
Looks like we are shooting for a Wednesday delivery (tomorrow). My plan was to indeed us a grey paint for the floor, and paint the walls white. I was not however going to sheet in the roof, just leave it foamed to save on initial start up costs. For lighting I was looking at placing 3 to 4 4' long 4 bulb flouresent fixtures down the length of the shop with supplemental lighting as needed over the assembly tables. I have already built a few tables to go along the walls, however at this point I am sorta on the hurry up and wait for delivery, then have an electrician install my meter base then get connected to the power grid. At least I can paint and rough out the interior without power, however AC would be nice.

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

tgamel wrote:however AC would be nice.
Why...
It's only going to be 104 through the weekend...:D
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....