how old is this??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

brick1
Gold Member

how old is this??

Post by brick1 »

I have been looking for some dowel center finder pins lately. After not finding any I went to our famous local hardware store in Cocoa Village that always has EVERYTHING!! I found this box, new, and unopened about nine feet up the wall. The nice sales person got a ladder and retrieved it for me. I immediately took it to the register and paid for it!!!!!

I couldn't believe the 6.39 sales price and the nice man said "That's it!!!"

Notice the reference to the "drill bit that wont drift off center"???

take care, bill
Attachments
disston01.jpg
disston01.jpg (339.07 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
disston02.jpg
disston02.jpg (283.33 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
disston03.jpg
disston03.jpg (331.17 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
disston04.jpg
disston04.jpg (317.04 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Brick1
Titusville, Florida
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

A quick search of the internet and something similar (I believe Woodcraft) was $15.00 bucks, so you made out well. From the looks of the box, appears to be well aged. I couldn't find anything with the Disston name on it, so perhaps they don't make it anymore. I like old hardware stores like that.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
brick1
Gold Member

Post by brick1 »

WmZiggy wrote:A quick search of the internet and something similar (I believe Woodcraft) was $15.00 bucks, so you made out well. From the looks of the box, appears to be well aged. I couldn't find anything with the Disston name on it, so perhaps they don't make it anymore. I like old hardware stores like that.

Thanks WmZiggy!! I just checked their website and they are still making tools but manufactured in China. I feel so lucky I found three of his saws made here!!! he started the company in 1860. I don't know when they started making brad point bits but that was about the time this kit was made.....

thanks, bill

Brick1
Titusville, Florida