Who would buy this?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Who would buy this?

Post by Jack Wilson »

This has been on Craigslist for a while, recently dropped the price from $700 to $600. What a bargain.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/4086189638.html
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

That's what you get when you leave stuff outdoors to rust away.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I regularly see Shopsmith in excellent condition, with SPTs, for this price in the Maryland/DC/N.Va area, including 510s and even an occasional 520. So I would not buy it at that price.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Try $100-$150 for parts if nothing else but that would be the most I would pay for it. Found way too many at the 4-5 in great condition and several SPT. Usually the jointer and bandsaw. That is why I have three bandsaws set up with different blades so don't have to change blades all the time. But sure was a waste of a good machine to let it set in the weather like that. Like finding a great low mileage muscle car setting in the field and going to pot.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Not all of that stuff is MkV stuff.

There is an ER shaper fence, and a 4 groove pulley, neither of which work on the 500s.

Besides asking $550 too much, he doesn't even know what he has.

steve
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

The only reason he hasn't sold it is because he said it RUNS GREAT but forgot to include WELL MAINTAINED. If he'd fix that in his ad it would sell. He must work for the government. Lie and keep lying and people will believe you.:D
rjn2649
Gold Member

Post by rjn2649 »

In reply to the post in general...who would buy this....SOMEONE THAT DISCOVERED BARKEEPERS FRIEND!!!:D

Now in reply to the political statement....HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE THAT OUR ELECTED LEADER LIE.... I grew up in Chicago and I can assure you the likes of Hizoner mayor Daley (both), J Jackson (pick one), Blago, Rostencowski, and the guy that said "everything I learned about politics I learned in Chicago" are nothing but the most trust worthy honest people...
alisfair
Gold Member

rusted markv

Post by alisfair »

id give him 150 delivered. Way to much for condition and age
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Rode hard and put away wet...I wouldn't take it for free - too many projects already and nothing there worth having that doesn't need more work than it's worth.

As for the political crack, perhaps you should re-word it to be "must have been elected to the government"...as someone who works for the Federal Government, I pride myself in my honesty, dedication, and work ethic and don't have a single person in our building of 50+ presently furloughed Federal employees who fits your comment or implied stereotype.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

dgale wrote:, perhaps you should re-word it to be "must have been elected to the government"...as someone who works for the Federal Government, I pride myself in my honesty, dedication, and work ethic and don't have a single person in our building of 50+ presently furloughed Federal employees who fits your comment or implied stereotype.

I should have reworded it to state those who have been appointed to the government, not elected - other than his Royal Highness, the Great Caesar, the Omnipotent, Savior of the World and the long expected Messiah - Barack Husein Obama!

i apologize for the generalization. The reference was to those in higher power not those a a level who don't have control. Please remember that when people criticize government employees it is not the front line fighters but the generals and bureaucrats who sit behind desks, collect exorbitant salaries and throw their employees and the country under the bus to protect their positions, salaries and benefits.

This is serious, not tongue-in-cheek. Obama will take you to your heaven or your hell. You may be greeted with 72 virgins (who will remain virgins forever); ever thought about that? or your hell which will be met with 72 demons, led by Nutsy Pilosi, Harry Reid, Maxine Waters, Henry Waxman, Jackie Speier and others from New York and Illinois, who have been mentioned here.

My sincere oligopolies to those who are employed by the federal government and who are the victims of the power struggle going on at higher levels. Reality reveals that they don't give a rat's ass about you. It's all about them and their ability to control and amass more money for themselves.