Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by roamer46 »

The stainless safety rails and chromed bronze bases for them need to be installed before I can put in the salon headliner. I bought a 20' stick of 7/8" marine stainless rail tubing and got to work drilling up through the original mounting bolt holes in the salon ceiling frames until it broke clear of my new cabin top paint. When I went to put the OEM machine screws up through the holes, I realized they were going to be too short.

Because these machine screws hold hardware on the outside, I'll use caulk to seal out rain, and the caulk will eventually have to be replaced. Using an OEM-style headliner, the chromed bronze oval head machine screws go through the headliner, which is attached directly to the overhead frames, and there's an attractive beveled washer that they seat up against. But since I'm using Whisper Wall headliner, which uses a 1/2" tall track, and we added thickness to the outside with the kevlar and additional fiberglass layer when preparing the cabin top for paint. So the machine screws are all 1/2" or more too short.

I go through the options in the article, but one option would involve taking my collection of spare chromed bronze screws and bolts, cutting off lengths I need, and welding that to the OEM machine screws to make them the necessary length.

But before I do that, does anybody know a source for 5/16-18 x 5-1/2" or longer stainless oval head Phillips machine screws?

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Safety Rails

Cheers,
Q

The problem screws

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I got a hit with Google:

"Size: 5/16"-18 x 6" - Model # FA-268-5373 - Fastener Type: Oval Head Phillips Machine Screw - Thread: Coarse - Material: 18-8 Stainless Steel - Price: $3.99 each"

https://www.greenboatstuff.com/ststmascovhe.html
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

You da man, BuckeyeDennis.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Glad to be of assistance, Q. Now when that beauty finally splashes, I can feel like I played a teensy-tiny part in the restoration!

Speaking of splashing, do you have a name chosen for her?
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

That was much appreciated!

As to the name, the missus was thinking 'sakurafuji', which means Japanese wisteria. It's her family crest.
I was thinking more along the lines of 'Engines and a Paint Job' to honor the bold understatement that got me interested in this $1 boat.
Another option is 'Alumi-Knotty.' (naughty aluminum boat).

That said, with the big machine screws on the way, I installed the 1/2" plywood spacers on the under-side of the salon ceiling frames. Then I filled the holes with slow-cure epoxy, which soaks into the mahogany frames and plywood structure of the salon roof. Once it cured, I drilled out the holes again. With the wood completely plasticized, if the safety rail mounts ever leak, it won't cause rot in precious wood.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Spacers for the Safety Rail Bolts in the Salon

Cheers,
Q

Spacer

Filling a hole with epoxy
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

While I'm waiting for the safety rail screws, I refurbished the 50-year old sliding screens for the salon entryway.

It's not glamorous, but it's progress and an essential step to getting the headliner installed.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Refurbishing 50-year Old Screens

Cheers,
Q

The sliding screen frame on the left is cleaned, waxed, and polished...ready for new screen and spline.
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Big news! I got the salon entryway panels and slider screens installed! It looks great!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Salon Entryway Panels and Screens

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

The headliner installer came back and wrapped up the track installation in the salon over three days. It's looking good.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Salon Headliner Tracks

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

The last step before the headliner gets installed involves installing the stainless safety rails for the side decks on either side of the helm. It's always nice to put shiny chromed bronze and stainless parts on the boat, especially since I've had most of the rechromed parts at home sitting in a box for the better part of a decade. It turned out pretty good, though there was a drill malfunction that took some work to resolve.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Safety Rails

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

With all the prep work finally done, I called the installer back to get started on the Whisper Wall headliner in the salon. He knocked out three panels on Day 1. I can't tell you how nice it is to show up and see that contracted work was done competently and on time. It's been my experience on this refit that's a rare thing.

So with the three panels installed, I got busy installing lights. It's looking great.
1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Salon Headliner Install Begins!

Cheers,
Q