Is it even remotely possible

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Is it even remotely possible

Post by dusty »

that viewing some web sites would cause a computer to run hotter than when viewing other sites?

I believe I might be witnessing that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

dusty wrote:that viewing some web sites would cause a computer to run hotter than when viewing other sites?

It's been quite a few years since I made a living from computers, however, if a site had a huge reliance on graphics I guess I could imagine the graphics chip working hard to keep up refreshing the image. Especially if it was not interlaced (am I'm revealing just how long ago it was that I worked on computers? :rolleyes: ) Whether that caused any measurable heat increase, I have no clue.

Honestly the only time I remember someone heating their CPU past acceptable levels was when they over-clocked it.

So what is the content of the site causing this warmth?
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:that viewing some web sites would cause a computer to run hotter than when viewing other sites?

Yes most definitely usually due to graphic requirements but some websites demand processing power also.
I would be very careful of such sites because I would wonder if it isn't graphics what are they doing that I don't know about that is using on the cpu cycles.
Next time you are there hit control Alt and delete and bring up Windows task manager and then click performance and see you CPU usage and Paging rates. Then check you networking rates. You may find that while you are visiting they are reading everything on your computer.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Is It Even Remotely Possible

Post by dusty »

It might be but it appears that this was not my problem.

I decided that I had to do all of the logical things first so I cleaned the dust out and then reapplied thermal compound to the the CPU cooler system.

I am now operating with core temperatures that vary (depending on load) around 40°C.

When I go to the web site that was causing me concern (it is graphic intensive), the temperatures do increase two or three degrees and the graphics card fan speed increases but everything remains within acceptable range.

Just like with the Shopsmith - proper user maintenance is important.:rolleyes::o
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I'm lost again.

The stated question was, can some websites cause your computer to run hotter?

Answer Yes!

Response I proved my problem was the lack of PM now the thing runs 2 to 3 degrees hotter.

My confusion. Isn't that still hotter proving a website can make you system run hotter?
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Ed in Tampa wrote:My confusion. Isn't that still hotter proving a website can make you system run hotter?

Yes Ed, it proves that a website can make your system run hotter. But I suspect that a website was making his system run hotter than usual. But by cleaning and reapplying the thermal compound it runs at his normal temp range.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I'm lost again.

The stated question was, can some websites cause your computer to run hotter?

Answer Yes!

Response I proved my problem was the lack of PM now the thing runs 2 to 3 degrees hotter.

My confusion. Isn't that still hotter proving a website can make you system run hotter?

I was not clear at all in stating my observations.

Yes, I do believe that I witness a slight rise in internal temperatures when I am visiting web sites that utilize intensive graphics.

However, before the temperatures were getting to be excessive. That is what started my close monitoring of the temperatures. For a week or so, I have been operating with an external fan so as to be able to keep the operating temperatures down.

After a good cleaning and the application of new thermal paste to the cpu cooling system, I am now operating at acceptable internal temperatures.

But, as I said, I do witness temperature increases (2-3 degrees) when on certain web sites.

Sorry for the confusion.

PS Thanks beeg. Your interpretation was right on.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I was not clear at all in stating my observations.

Yes, I do believe that I witness a slight rise in internal temperatures when I am visiting web sites that utilize intensive graphics.

However, before the temperatures were getting to be excessive. That is what started my close monitoring of the temperatures. For a week or so, I have been operating with an external fan so as to be able to keep the operating temperatures down.

After a good cleaning and the application of new thermal paste to the cpu cooling system, I am now operating at acceptable internal temperatures.

But, as I said, I do witness temperature increases (2-3 degrees) when on certain web sites.

Sorry for the confusion.

PS Thanks beeg. Your interpretation was right on.
I believe only the gentleman from Tampa was confused!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

[quote="JPG40504"]I believe only the gentleman from Tampa was confused!]

And that's why Dusty replied to "the gentleman from Tampa ":D ;) :D ;) :D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Dusty, you are correct in your statement.

My computer heatsink fan is over-engineered, on purpose. It's speed is also adjusted by the CPU temps.

Which means I can hear the difference, just by fan speed.

Yes, some websites cause more fan noise (CPU usage) than others do.

steve