Rehab Addict goes Eccentric!

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Rick Setina
Silver Member

Post by Rick Setina »

I've gotten into hand planes recently and I like the No 140 you posted.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Rehab Addict goes Eccentric!

Post by nuhobby »

The venerable New England Lie-Nielsen No. 140 now has a "stable mate" from overseas....

Here is a famous Bond-movie actor (real name = Clifton!), the Sheriff, calling out a "British Secret Agent" hiding in my fleet:
Clifton_Called_Out.jpg
Clifton_Called_Out.jpg (112.86 KiB) Viewed 8409 times

Here is a closer look, the Clifton No. 3 plane. It reminds me of a Millers Falls, so I call it "Clifty Falls" (a nice Indiana park name). You can still see a little Cosmoline on the brass parts. This plane is like a solid piece of granite; the blade just cuts without any shake at all:
Clifty_Falls.jpg
Clifty_Falls.jpg (101.48 KiB) Viewed 8409 times

That bookmatched tiger maple, I'm working into a future project. Bookmatch-resawing was done on the SS Bandsaw, and the Clifton plane is evening it all out with the smoothest of results!

Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Rehab Addict goes Eccentric!

Post by nuhobby »

Well, this wasn't solely a lathe job; I did add a rasp into the equation. But I was thrilled to make a nice curvy horn for a German plane I'm restoring, using principles of eccentric / offset turning on the lathe. It was experimental... next time I'll post a full step-by-step !

- Chris
Eccentric Horn.jpg
Eccentric Horn.jpg (138.4 KiB) Viewed 7888 times