Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

Think it's getting a little off topic but... Didn't want anyone to think that they need to adjust their User CP setting. ;)
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
JPG
Platinum Member

Wrinkle Paint M5

Post by JPG »

Attachments
m5 wrinkle paint.jpg
m5 wrinkle paint.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 26855 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

&quot wrote:Just to 'prove' they existed!;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corded-Electric-Shopsmith-Mark-V-System-In-VERY-Good-Used-Condition-/181513061431?pt=Power_Tools&hash=item2a43058437

And for when it 'disappears'.

[ATTACH]26131[/ATTACH]
I never doubted you in the first place, Oh great "Galloping Ghost"! I do hope that the guy gets his reserve price, as the machine shows every sign of being well-loved, indeed.

My own weekend was interesting. I decided to compromise and bid on a just a couple of those prematurely-rusty SS machines in the online auction from back in post #47. I wound up buying a decent metal-wheeled stip sander on a rusty Power Station, plus a rusty old-style overarm pin router, for a total of forty bucks. The strip sander completes my SS SPT collection, which alone is more than worth the modest investment. And both machines came with genuine SS casters, making it a real bargain.

It does get a bit weird when we delve into the source of the rust. The not-so-old guy who was auctioning the stuff had inherited it from his brother. It was in his horse barn, but he was not a woodworker. Seems that his recently deceased brother had kept the equipment in a shed that was shared with about a dozen barn cats. Which all liked to whiz on the machines, having nothing much else better to do.

So 40 bucks for the SS stuff was not overpaying, in hindsight. The OPR router table was toast.

Now here's the really good news. While it was the SS stuff attracted my attention, a vintage Stanley 2358 miter box, complete with a 28" x 6" Disston backsaw, was also on sale. I scored the pair of them for two bucks! The miter box is already freed up, with the help of some PB Blaster. Steve will be jealous. It is solid cast iron, circa 1950. Cast "malleable iron" that is. Advertised to be "virtually unbreakable".

The Diston backsaw will clean up nicely as well. The handle was grimy, but otherwise pristine. It' a big heavy honkin' thing.

Next step: get good at sharpening and using handsaws! :)
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

What's a handsaw?:D
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

ChrisNeilan wrote:What's a handsaw?:D
I thought you'd never ask! Historically, it's a tool that that, in my hands, made joinery look as if it had been done by a gang of adolescent beavers. :o

I sense that this is about to change. Here is what my new/old miter box and backsaw look like:

[ATTACH]26136[/ATTACH]

Except that mine is considerably rustier (for now), and slightly newer.
Attachments
stanley-358-restored.jpg
stanley-358-restored.jpg (73.37 KiB) Viewed 26660 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I thought you'd never ask! Historically, it's a tool that that, in my hands, made joinery look as if it had been done by a gang of adolescent beavers. :o

I sense that this is about to change. Here is what my new/old miter box and backsaw look like:

[ATTACH]26136[/ATTACH]

Except that mine is considerably rustier (for now), and slightly newer.

JUST A LITTLE!:D

[ATTACH]26137[/ATTACH]

Wonder if whoever bought the '2000' realized the best parts were 'out in the grass'. Wonder what whoever bought the SS will do with the 'grass stuff'?
Attachments
STANLEY MITER SAW.jpg
STANLEY MITER SAW.jpg (118.67 KiB) Viewed 26666 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

&quot wrote:JUST A LITTLE!:D

[ATTACH]26137[/ATTACH]

Wonder if whoever bought the '2000' realized the best parts were 'out in the grass'. Wonder what whoever bought the SS will do with the 'grass stuff'?
Hey, the miter box already a little less rusty! I'm working on getting it disassembled, and the PB Blaster alone has already revealed a nice blue-gray paint underneath the rust on the casting. Very much like color of my '52 10ER.

I was bummed about the "grass stuff". I think it went for $17. My plan was to snipe it for $25. Then show up early, and give the 510 tables and Excalibur fence etc. to the folks that bought the corresponding machines. That would have left me with, as near as I could tell:
1: a SS biscuit joiner
2: a nice pair of 5' connector tubes
3: a SS sharpening guide
4: some lathe duplicator pieces
5: and a bonus prize, a nice Craftsman Router Crafter

What went wrong? My trusty old XP machine with the hardwired Ethernet connection, already logged in and ready to snipe, decided to freeze up for about two minutes at just the wrong time. That'll teach me. :(
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

510 for $150.

Post by fredsheldon »

Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

fredsheldon wrote:Better hurry up on this one.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/4667716116.html
What a shame. I bet it would clean up pretty good, and just think only 3 hours away.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/4662119397.html

I thought I had posted this one earlier, but I guess not.

GONE!

A friend who saw my first Model 10, always wanted one, but I didn't know until I asked him if he would pick this one up for me, when I had the cash saved up.

No! But, we just got it for him. A fair amount of rust on the jointer, as well as the way tubes. Speedchanger center sheave needs work. Needs a new left leg, which I have spares of. Motor works just fine. Has the shaper head, with a few sets of blades.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.