Bocote

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Bocote

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Anyone know what finish to use on Bocote?

OK, I fell victim to modern merchandising. At the last Woodcraft sale, I was waiting in line with a considerable armload of "supplies". Sitting right by the cash register was a stack of Bocote bottle stopper blanks for $1.70 each and I thought "What the heck, I'll try one."

Now that I have it home, it appears to be oily. Will my normal shellac based finish work? Should I switch to several coats of a thinned varnish?

I'm sure mineral spirits and beeswax would work, but I'm looking for something more durable. My wife washes bottle stoppers (don't ask) so the finish needs to be as durable as possible.
Doug
Greenville, SC
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I'm trying to remember where I read this recently in a wood-hobby magazine... something to the effect that oily-residue woods were hard to do with oil-based polyurethane, but OK to do with water-based urethane. Something to do with oxidation-cure vs. evaporation-cure ??? Sorry, I've relayed just enough (mis?) info to be dangerous.

Good luck,
Chris
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

In Nick's book, "Woodworking Wisdom" p 287 in the Trouble Shooting Table, it says use a wash coat of Shellac. I don't have one of Nick's books just on finishing.

In Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing" on p 67 & 286 he says to wipe it down with a fast evaporating solvent, Naphtha, Acetone, or Lacquer Thinner before applying the finish.
Jim in Tucson
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Thanks. I wiped it down with alcohol and then used Behlen Woodturners finish. So far, so good.

I guess it was worth $1.70 to try a new wood. As pretty as it is, I might invest in a bowl blank next.

[ATTACH]1160[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Bogote.JPG
Bogote.JPG (91.25 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
Doug
Greenville, SC