My take on an under-Shopsmith storage cabinet

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fitzhugh
Gold Member

Re: My take on an under-Shopsmith storage cabinet

Post by fitzhugh »

Claimdude, could you explain the two approaches to attaching to the tubes? I think I'm missing something about the one on the right/last photo. Also, are they just to keep it in place as the ss is moved out soon they actually support it?

Thanks
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Thanks for the compliments. The hold downs are just to hold the storage unit under the SS. It accomplishes both that and provides just enough resistance over the 3" SS casters that I can use the table saw without lowering the SS to the ground. The bracket at the right allowed me to attach the cabinet with a U bolt on that end. Not enough room to use a wooden bracket like on the left. I can still quickly detach the cabinet from the way tubes and move it out of the way if needed. They also allow the SS to be lowered to set firmly on the concrete if needed.

Jack
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Ok, that makes sense. I'm afraid I can all too easily see myself building a cabinetry and totally failing to consider the need to raise and lower it until I'm finished and trying to use it. It's a very clean and thought out design. Thanks for sharing it!

Edit: I forgot to ask, can we see the inside?

claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Sure, I will get some picks of the inside and post them later.

Jack
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Here are the open door pics.

Jack
2015-09-28 14.46.09.jpg
2015-09-28 14.46.09.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 20295 times
2015-09-28 14.46.12.jpg
2015-09-28 14.46.12.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 20295 times
2015-09-28 14.46.31.jpg
2015-09-28 14.46.31.jpg (79.45 KiB) Viewed 20295 times
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Thanks. How do you find having drawers like that? I know myself... Without making some provision for defining what tool fits where I end up piling them on top of each other, with the one I next need at the bottom of the tallest, most precarious pile... I think the same underlying basic natural law enforces the fact that I always find at least four or five Phillips head screwdrivers when seeking flathead, and the same in reverse. Clearly neither are g the fault of poor organizational skills on my part. We're talking the equivalent of gravity here, serious immutable truths deeply embedded in the fabric of the universe.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

For the time being I am just testing different things in there. I had hoped my 520 would fit but it is too long and because of the lift assist I couldn't squeeze anymore width out of it. I am also adding drawers in other cabinets and some items will go elsewhere due to infrequency of use. I should have all my new drawers (added in open cabinets I build 30 years ago before I had any tools to amount to anything) in a month or so and will then begin serious organization using things such as Kaizen Foam (already have a number of drawers organized with it), adding dividers and multiple levels in tall drawers etc.

Jack
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

From the photos it looks like you are using butt joints for your drawer fronts and sides. For future drawers, I would suggest you use a drawer lock joint, especially if you will have heavy items in the drawers. They will last much longer.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Bruce,

I did use butt joints but also have a Festool Domino and used dominos and glue in the joints so strength is not an issue.

Thanks
Jack
Bruce wrote:From the photos it looks like you are using butt joints for your drawer fronts and sides. For future drawers, I would suggest you use a drawer lock joint, especially if you will have heavy items in the drawers. They will last much longer.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

claimdude wrote:Bruce,

I did use butt joints but also have a Festool Domino and used dominos and glue in the joints so strength is not an issue.

Thanks
Jack
Bruce wrote:From the photos it looks like you are using butt joints for your drawer fronts and sides. For future drawers, I would suggest you use a drawer lock joint, especially if you will have heavy items in the drawers. They will last much longer.
That's good. I don't know much about the Domino, but I imagine they're stronger than biscuits or dowels would be.