I want a work light similar to the Shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rmawer
Bronze Member

Re: I want a work light similar to the Shopsmith

Post by rmawer »

Just went on Amazon.com and found these
https://www.amazon.com/Light-Milling-La ... 33&sr=8-33
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

The Shopsmith lamps, made by Moffatt, are rated for a 100w incandescent, or equivalent, which produces 1600 lumens. The linked lamps are only 350 lumens, and the larger one, 500 lumens. They may not provide as much illumination as you would like.

Mike
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Mike907 wrote:The Shopsmith lamps, made by Moffatt, are rated for a 100w incandescent, or equivalent, which produces 1600 lumens. The linked lamps are only 350 lumens, and the larger one, 500 lumens. They may not provide as much illumination as you would like.

Mike
I agree, SS lights are made for an incandescent bulb and are designed to reduce the heat you feel if you touch the shade. They work very well for that. They also look very nice.

Now that LED bulbs have come down drastically in price I have replaced the incandescent bulbs in my SS lights with LED's. Of course that negates the necessity of the cooling fins in the SS lights.

Having said that they are quality lights and I would buy another one if I needed one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

You might want to consider these Harmiey Sewing Machine Light (40LED) 8W Gooseneck Work Light with Magnetic Mounting Base White Soft Light for Lathes Drill Presses Workbenches.

https://www.amazon.com/harmiey-Goosenec ... 07N1MK51J/

I have four in my shop. Two are mounted on my scroll saw. They never move. I have other lights that cost many times more that are not near as good.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Thanks Robert, I'll get one to check out. Seems like an inexpensive option.

I built up a nice rig, inspired by an Adam Savage build, but it definitely wasn't cheap at something around $80+. This is his build video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3uZ88vA_0. I used a bit better LED light and used a couple pieces of microphone gooseneck and adapters instead of the line loc that Adam used. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will post the components I used.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes: