PowerPro upgrade on eBay this morning

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

PowerPro upgrade on eBay this morning

Post by everettdavis »

For those looking for a PowerPro upgrade kit, there's one on eBay this morning...

New Shopsmith PowerPro Upgrade 556177 Headstock Mark V

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shopsmith-P ... 5674b64767

No bids yet

5 year warranty began on date of sale to original buyer - that date not listed in info. If interested, you should nail that down, and confirm with Shopsmith if any remaining warranty is transferable to you. That could dramatically effect overall value.

UPDATE:

I contacted Shopsmith and in a remarkable gesture on their part, they agreed to transfer any remaining warranties to the eBay buyer once they confirm the original date of sale.

I contacted the Seller on eBay and provided them with the contact number at Shopsmith, including the information they need to provide Shopsmith to identify that date. I advised them to update the listing on eBay once they have that information confirmed.

I know that all members of the Shopsmith family here want the very best for one of our brothers’ widow.

I will not be in a position to bid on this myself, and I encourage those interested to watch eBay for the updates if you are.

Thanks again to Shopsmith for the gesture and kindness they offered to extend to his widow.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro upgrade on eBay this morning

Post by algale »

Where did you learn this is being sold for a widow of a Shopsmith owner?
everettdavis wrote:For those looking for a PowerPro upgrade kit, there's one on eBay this morning...

No bids yet

5 year warranty began on date of sale to original buyer - that date not listed in info. If interested, you should nail that down, and confirm with Shopsmith if any remaining warranty is transferable to you. That could dramatically effect overall value.

UPDATE:

I contacted Shopsmith and in a remarkable gesture on their part, they agreed to transfer any remaining warranties to the eBay buyer once they confirm the original date of sale.

I contacted the Seller on eBay and provided them with the contact number at Shopsmith, including the information they need to provide Shopsmith to identify that date. I advised them to update the listing on eBay once they have that information confirmed.

I know that all members of the Shopsmith family here want the very best for one of our brothers’ widow.

I will not be in a position to bid on this myself, and I encourage those interested to watch eBay for the updates if you are.

Thanks again to Shopsmith for the gesture and kindness they offered to extend to his widow.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:Where did you learn this is being sold for a widow of a Shopsmith owner?
everettdavis wrote:For those looking for a PowerPro upgrade kit, there's one on eBay this morning...

No bids yet

UPDATE:

I believed the same thing just because of the wording on eBay and besides he did say he contacted the seller? :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I spoke with Shopsmith directly, who confirmed they had been contacted by an owner requesting options to sell a PowerPro upgrade exactly as described by someone whose husband passed away before ever unboxing it. Is it this seller? Unknown, but suspected.

I passed this information along to the eBay seller who states in their ad they are representing a lady whose husband never used it and requested they contact Shopsmith and provide information Shopsmith requires to identify it and the original date of sale.

THEY HAVE NOT FOLLOWED UP in a contact with me. They have not updated the listing with that valuable piece of the puzzle... the date, as of this posting. That would establish the length of remaining warranty IF ANY.

I don't know the seller, the original buyer and have no horse in this race.

There have been 10 bids at present, with 2 bidders, which you can evaluate yourselves.

Can I validate this with personal data? No. I tried to let membership know of an item available and help out a brother's wife by doing some background work. Is it real? Is some of it real? Is it someone on eBay who bought it at a garage sale and knows the back story trying to play on our emotions and raise the price?

I don't know. It is what it is. Without validation that a verifiable warranty exists, and that it is transferable to you, it has less value.

Shopsmith told me, if I bought it and could provide the identification they requested, any warranty remaining would transfer to me. The ball is in the court of the seller at this point.

That's all I know.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I called the phone number listed in the add and spoke with a guy about it. He said he has a number of Shopsmith items he wants to sell. Several bandsaws and so on.

When I explained that he could get the widow more money by validating things with Shopsmith, he hem-hawed around and said it looked like it was going to get a good price anyway.

My Hinkey Meter went off after that conversation.

If he were selling this for a friends wife, why on earth wasn't he more interested in proving up the value? If this was out of his wheel house, why does he have a bunch of other Shopsmith gear to sell?

I put this one in the Laissez-faire or buyer beware or at least be alert category. If he won't establish the age, perhaps he already knows it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:I called the phone number listed in the add and spoke with a guy about it. He said he has a number of Shopsmith items he wants to sell. Several bandsaws and so on.

When I explained that he could get the widow more money by validating things with Shopsmith, he hem-hawed around and said it looked like it was going to get a good price anyway.

My Hinkey Meter went off after that conversation.

If he were selling this for a friends wife, why on earth wasn't he more interested in proving up the value? If this was out of his wheel house, why does he have a bunch of other Shopsmith gear to sell?

I put this one in the Laissez-faire or buyer beware or at least be alert category. If he won't establish the age, perhaps he already knows it.
I sent a question to the seller requesting purchase date and transferability of warranty.

I got this response.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 13541 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
superpop
Gold Member

Post by superpop »

I would also be careful on this one. There are several bags of parts that come with that kit and I did not see all of them. One missing bag could be a lot of money to buy after the fact. I probably would have bid on this though before I purchased my upgrade from Lowe's on a price match. Anything under a grand would be a good deal in my book.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

For the benefit of those who PM'd me and others, the only things Shopsmith stated they absolutely had to have to identify the purchase was the last name of the original buyer, and the zip code they ordered it shipped to.

Clearly those are two things the seller on eBay could easily discover. If he knows the wife at all, he knows her last name. If he knows where he picked it up from, he can get the zip code it was shipped to.

With those, Shopsmith stated in the phone call with me this morning, they could establish which PowerPro it was and transfer the warranty to me, were I to be the successful bidder, for example. Moot point to me since I am not a bidder.

The date code on a component part was not a sufficient identifier mentioned in the call, though it does tend to speak to date of manufacture for the component bearing it, which would logically pre-date the eventual sale by days, weeks or even months.

The seller on eBay has a store, and appears to have a good standing as a seller on eBay.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The seller confirms that this is apparently a different person with an upgrade than the one Shopsmith told me about.

They wrote me back:

"Dear everettdavis,

I already have a bid and a lot of questions so I'm hoping since it's only listed for a few hours that the price will go up substantially. I didn't call shopsmith on this unit - ironic that someone is in the same situation though. Thanks for all the details.

- iwaslookin4that"
kwalmsley
Silver Member

Post by kwalmsley »

If you look at the bidding pattern, someone has an autobid. I had thought maybe I would replace my 3/4 HP with this rather than try to resurrect what I have (see very old shopsmith) thread from this past weekend). But, the price of this headstock is now up over 50% of the "new from shopsmith" value. Had this stayed under 50% it might have been a decent gamble. Over 50%, I'm back to plan A if I elect to swap headstock Ill just buy direct from Shopsmith.