Texas Booty

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oldiron
Gold Member

Re: Texas Booty

Post by oldiron »

I've heard the same thing. What a legacy... Self generating machines! One has to ask himself, How many other companies can make the same claim???

For the ones who make statements like "It's about as worthless as a shopsmith", I say "Atta boy", Keep thinking that way and keep buying the garbage which comes across the Pacific... It leaves more for us to pick from!!!

Mike
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

ERLover wrote:Kinda like the tail stock :rolleyes: I used 2 castors, but should of used 3, I fretted seeing my dentist, if it went a flying.
What I did was use expansion plugs and a pillow block bearing at the end of the tube that is rated for the full output speed of the machine.

I ran it at the slowest speed, but it is a really safe way to do it, and you can process the entire tube at once.

I used 2400 grit for final, and it was very smooth. I then waxed it in place with Johnsons paste wax.

You can read about it here. http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 33#p175733 along with how others did theirs.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

oldiron wrote:I've heard the same thing. What a legacy... Self generating machines! One has to ask himself, How many other companies can make the same claim???

For the ones who make statements like "It's about as worthless as a shopsmith", I say "Atta boy", Keep thinking that way and keep buying the garbage which comes across the Pacific... It leaves more for us to pick from!!!

Mike
Sorry, but "entropy" comes to mind, with the later versions of Shopsmith.

More expensive, but not as durable. (Something tells me, the Feds have
something to do with this. My model 10s come with a primitive blade
guard, and belt guard. I've seen the blade guard, and have a belt guard,
but actually attach one, well, NO!)

You ARE right, about the Shopsmith being a GOOD machine, though.
ANY of them! (Well, there IS the Mk2.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

SKOU, you are out and about early tonight!!!! :)
No date :eek:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

ERLover wrote:SKOU, you are out and about early tonight!!!! :)
No date :eek:
It's a Tuesday Night.

I'm for bed in a few minutes, bro.

But, thanking for checkin.'

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You two trying to set Dusty off? :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Dick,

Any more recent project photos you have to share on this one?

This one is a special project that I am very interested in seeing develop!

Everett
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

everettdavis wrote:Dick,

Any more recent project photos you have to share on this one?

This one is a special project that I am very interested in seeing develop!

Everett
I took the headstock apart yesterday. Man that thing is in good shape, lots of old sawdust (return spring cup was full of sawdust), but basically in good shape. I am going to try using a "hot tank" cleaning of the cast parts at a friends engine rebuilding facility, or I am just going to steam clean it, haven't decided yet. It is pretty oily. It looks like Dawn's father oiled it regularly and often. The set screw marks had only one mark on all of the headstock shafts, and no marks on the retaining rings. So I don't think it has ever been taken apart. I am checking bearings today (I have a records destruction company coming by today and I don't know how long that will take).

Anyway Everett, so far looks good. Tubes are ready to go. I will prepare the boards sometime this week. I am probably going to just degrease and paint.

Thanks for asking :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I am thinking about running the two boards for the 10ER you helped me find through my Pro Planer and taking off about 1/32 on each side, then lightly passing the sides similarly over the jointer. I will remove any finish beforehand.

Disk sander should clean up the end grains, then I will gently round over the edges with a router.

Afterwards, I am considering placing the large Shopsmith logo on them as had been illustrated in another thread. I want to preserve the wood as well as the machine.

I will not know for certain until I can get up there and pick it up later in the spring and actually examine the boards, but I suspect they are capable of being re-done.

Everett
silenthope
Gold Member

Post by silenthope »

rjent wrote:I hear you, this is the second time I have used this rig on the Mark 7. I run it at the 250 RPM speed which helps. It has worked perfectly again so far. I may have to make a "muzzle" on the free end to give the quill something to push against (had to do that the last time), but so far my "plug" is working like I knew what i was doing .... :D
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have really enjoyed reading about all the restoration stories here on this forum...the knowledge here is priceless!

I am in the process of restoring my fathers shopsmith and I'm interested in using your method for cleaning up the tubes. Can I ask how you secured the tube to the dowel at the quill end to keep it spinning? Also, did you just allow the other end just to free-spin on the plywood? You also mentioned a "muzzle" to push against the quill...??? Thanks!
1955 Mark 5 SN-316919 (in pieces)
1956 Mark 5 SN-344051 (restoration in-work)
1962 Mark 5 SN-375717 (restoration in-work)