Lathe Center stuck in Eccentric Mount

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gatheringsplinters
Gold Member

Lathe Center stuck in Eccentric Mount

Post by gatheringsplinters »

Hey Guys,

The subject line says it all. When I received my Mark V 500 the lathe center was in the Eccentric mount. I bet it's been there for since 1984.. I can seem to get it out. It won't twist and tapping on it with a rubber mallet (removed from the SS of course) Doesn't make it move.

Any advice for getting it out?

Thanks in advance!
Mark V 500 (1984) - Shopsmith Bandsaw (Older Model with Cast Iron Table) - Shopsmith Jointer

Woodworker Level: Beginner
Boulder Colorado
Instagram: gathering_splinters
Youtube: gathering splinters
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Lathe Center stuck in Eccentric Mount

Post by ERLover »

A good soaking with penetrating oil, then a wood block between a hammer or mallet, while supporting the tail stock near the center.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

ERLover wrote:A good soaking with penetrating oil, then a wood block between a hammer or mallet, while supporting the tail stock near the center.
Start by removing the eccentric from the tailstock and supporting it in a loose vise.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

[quote="jimthej"
Start by removing the eccentric from the tailstock and supporting it in a loose vise.[/quote]

That is what I would do. Other wise it is likely the whole eccentric is going to come out when you pound...... If you don't want to use a hammer then a chunk of 2 x 4 might work, just don't go metal to metal with a hammer.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

This works every time! (metal to metal vibrations)

Tap the end of the center with a metal ball pein hammer. The center will jump into your hand.

To avoid injury to your hand or to the sharp point of the center, cover the point with a glove on your hand and a folded rag in the glove.

There may be a possibility to remove the point by inserting a drift pin into the hole in the side of the center's front. This would make the the glove and rag unnecessary.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

If tapping on it fails try throwing it in the freezer and then take it out after a few hours and apply heat to just the eccentric hub and then try tapping it.
Paul